Thread: Kalk reactor

Kalk reactor

I hear about this device but I'm not certain on how it works. Can someone explain it to me?

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

A Kalk reactor is really simple. Basically there is a pump that sucks in water from the middle of the reactor and pumps it out towards the bottom of the reactor to keep the Kalk powder from settling. At the top of the reactor there is a water inlet (FW) which delivers freshwater to to bottom of the reactor and outlet (effluent). That's basically it.

I have to admit, I still don't quite get it... Is it in line (like a canister filter) or is a top-off system? What are the avantages of over simply dripping kalk for water top-off?

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Its a top off system, its a million times better then dosing kalk because you just set it and add more kalk every 2 weeks, i hated dosing kalk!!
    Its also better then dosing kalk because your not letting the kalk mix be exposed to air, which is detrimental to it
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

I don't mean to hyjack the thread, but if I bought one what else would I need to run it? I don't have my RO water in the same room as my fish tank, and I don't have a float valve. I just drip it with a IV unit, and a rubbermaid. Will I be able to use one?

All you need to get a Kalk reactor up and running is
    1) FW supply (either a resevoir or a line from your RO)
    2) A float valve or switch

The easiest and cheapest way to set one up is to have a float valve conncted to the output of the Kalk reactor. Have a resevoir of FW above the Kalk reactor to gravity feed it. Then as soon as any water evaportates from your system, the float valve will open up allowing water to flow out of your resevoir, into your Kalk rich water in your Kalk reactor and out of your Kalk reactor out your float valve refilling your sump.

Her is my hydroxide stirrer. The r/o water is fed directly into the 5 gal. pail attatched to a float . A powerhead sits on the bottom to stirr the powder, and a tube out the top of the pail goes into a float in my sump.
    Once a week I add 5 Tsp. of powder. That's It!!!!

Thanks for all the answers. I have a better idea now. In fact what I'm currently using similar to Sherif's picture. I don't have a float switch for the RO (I do it manually once a week). I do use a peristaltic pump to send the Kalk to the tank 9activated by a float switch). I don't stir the powder that precipitates on the bottom. In fact I thought it was bad idea to do so.

To stir or not to stir?

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

You have to stir it at least once daily to dissolve it, but ideally you want only the clear water to drip into your tank once the kalk settles to the bottom.