Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

question on standpipes

I'm getting geared up to drill my 90 gallon tank and install bulkheads and standpipes. i've been looking at some pictures of standpipes and most have a reducer at the bottom of the standpipe before it goes through the bulkhead. so my question is why do some people use a reducer at the bottom of their standpipes?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    From what I've read, they work better with reducers on the bottom. Mine has a reducer as well.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

it probably has to do with chaneling the water thru the bulkhead with a decrease in noise levels, or to make the lines run full to help decrease air in the lines? anyway, i guess it's back to the plumbing store for me unless someone can tell me why i don't need a reducer.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Hi barry_c,

That's the first time I ever heard of that.... I never really paid attention to that and can't remember ever reading of it either...

I'm putting (2) 2" overflow returns on my 220 and what I've done is to put the Stockman mods on both the 2" Durso's that I've made.

These mothers are huge! 3" diameter fittings for the Stockman silencers on both... : More power!!!!

If anything I can see the reducer restricting the flow, perhaps people didn't want to drill a large hole in the tank??? Perhaps the reducer will be causing some gurgling and toilet flush... :

I personally would not put the reducers at the bottom, your flow will be decided by the return pump output, not the reducer. Once you put them in they'll be a bitch to get out again.

Hey, maybe that's why tang_man can't put a stronger pump on his tank now, that damn reducer is limiting his overflow! :guns:

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Here ya go... directly from MR. DURSO himself...

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/stand...-standpipe.htm

My tank has a 1 inch bulkhead on the bottom glass where the water drains out. For this size hole, I recommend you use 1 inch PVC for the standpipe. I do not recommend 1 inch PVC as the larger fittings are much harder to fit inside overflow chambers. And secondly, there is no advantage in 1 inch over 1 inch PVC when dealing with a 1 inch bulkhead -- the bulkhead is the limiting factor.

If you have a 1 inch bulkhead the standpipe needs to be larger than the bulkhead to work correctly. I get a lot of e-mail questions on why this is. Honestly, I'm not sure. If you use 1 inch pipe on a 1 inch bulkhead you get poor results. Take my word on it and use 1 inch PVC pipe. However, there does not seem to be any need to oversize the standpipe for larger bulkheads such as 1.5 inch. Larger bulkheads can use PVC pipe & fittings that match the size of the bulkhead.

Therefore, using the logic presented above, I would not recommend drilling for a 1" bulkhead in any tank over 35 gallons.

I would recommend a minimum 1.5" bulkhead adapter for your tank to avoid any of the future pump upgrade problems associated with a too small overflow pipe installation. : Better yet drill for a 2" bulkhead.

This problem in general, seems to haunt a lot of people later on in the hobby, " Too small, should've gotten bigger just in case".

When it comes to flow, how many dozens of threads have we seen elsewhere about people in the situation where it's too late or too much trouble to re-do everything for more flow...

Flow is critical in a marine aquarium, no-one can change that, its been said a billion times.

Don't regret later, plan for expansion (the future) now.

Pay me now or pay me later... tang_man... O.K, I'm finished my rant.

Van

hehehe...
    I completely agree with ya there...
    I would've gone with atleast a 2" overflow myself had I known then what I know now.
    To add to that, I bought my tank used... with livestock. So it's not like I really had a choice in the matter.

Hehehe, not entirely true, you could've modded it when everything croaked last summer... :

Van

Not really... It would've been a significant mod since the overflow chamber is restrictive already with 1 1/4" piping. I can only imagine how bad it would've been with anything larger.

I would've had to make the overflow chamber itself larger. Trust me, this tank is a learning experience for my one day to be 300-400 gallon tank.

thanks guys,

2" standpipes with 2" bulkheads and 2" drain lines to the sump it is. Mag 18 to feed my main tank & refugium. now i just have to find the courage to start up my dremel and put the holes in the tank.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast