Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repairing Prizm (acrylic?)

I got a used Prizm skimmer... but noticed it's cracked right along the water output "tongue" area. It's leaking abit and I wonder if and how I can repair it?

Silicone probably the easy way but silicone doesn't reall stick to acrylic, right?

If I use those acrylic sealing chemical (which one should I use?)... would it be a good idea to actually break the whole piece of the "tongue" off AND then try to stick it back? coz I duno how easy it will be to get the acrylic solvent to get into the crack inside...

EDIT... or even how about epoxy?

Did you ever think about using Methylene Chloride??

If it's not broke right off why not use epoxy. People stick corals on with it and nothing happens to there little fishies so i would say that would be your best choice.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Methylene Chloride (any of the Weldon products), especially the thicker ones could be used. If you can force slighly on the spout to open the gap slightly and get some into the gap and then let it close you should be able to seal it off nicely. I don't know where to go in Kington to get Weldon, but, maybe someone from Kingston can chime in.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Try yellow pages under glass and acrylics, I had same kind of repair and bought some Weldon #3 from a local shop. Too bad you were not closer, I have lots left..lol

Thanks for the reply!

I'm gona see if I can find some Weldon somewhere for a reasonable price... hope can get it under $10?!

Also for epoxy, I have those epoxy resin now actually. But are other any epoxy from hardware store good to use for aquarium purpose?

Okie I found a place that sells acrylic bounding resin $5 for a small bottle. Currently OOS tho so have to wait couple of days.

Just to make sure tho... anyone can confirm the Prizm is indeed made of acrylic? or is it just "normal" plastic?

I don't think its acrylic, it doesn't look like acrylic at all to me, just plastic,
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

hum so I guess epoxy is the way to go then huh...
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

If your not sure what type of plastic the unit is made off then use the epoxy. If you can confirm that it is acrylic then go with Weldon #3. If you use the Weldon you don't even need to pry the crack open. Weldon #3 will flow like water right into the joint by capillary action.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast