Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cure DIY rocks

Cure DIY rocks

Have any one DIYed rocks and how long did it take to cure them in fresh water ?

I've made some rocks with 1 part cement, 1 part sand, 3 parts oyster shell, 1 part water and have been cure the rocks in fresh tap water with a power head for almost 4 months. Last night i checked the ph and it was still of the scale ( deep purple colour ).

I heard that it only takes 6 -8 weeks of curing time in fresh tap water. So what did i do wrong ?

tx.

Also i change the water weekly.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

I tend to put "nasty stuff" in a bin and then let the discharge from my RO/DI flow into it so there's frequent water changes.

But my RO unit is hooked up to the fridge so it runs a little every day to top off the 3G tank.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Originally posted by Krugar
    I tend to put "nasty stuff" in a bin and then let the discharge from my RO/DI flow into it so there's frequent water changes.

But my RO unit is hooked up to the fridge so it runs a little every day to top off the 3G tank.

Cheers!

???????

Cool

takes around 6 to 8 weeks. checl with fresh water ph kit.
    then use some of your water change water and soak another week checking with a salt ph kit.

Hi Johnny,

I've been cured the rocks in fresh tap water for almost 4months with weekly water change. I checked the ph last night with fresh water ph kit, and it was still off the scale.
    I just don't know why ph didn't drop.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Maybe I should finish my coffee before posting.

My RO/DI until isn't saddle valved into the drain, the rejected water line drops into my laundry tub.

So I put curing DIY rock, or anything that needs a way good rinsing into a Walmart type bin, and let it soak in the rejected water.

As new RO/DI water gets made, it overflows the bin. Free daily (okay effortless) water changes since I also use RO/DI for ice cubes & drinking water as well as using it for my aquraium.

Anyway it takes about 4 weeks to kill the pH that way for me.

Did that make more sense? And yeah soak them in SW for at least a week afterwards.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I have a 45 gallon drum full of DIY rock that has been curing for 10 weeks now...I change the water twice a week and the Ph is still at 11.2. I also figured that it would take about 8 weeks but I guess it depends on how big the rocks are and the volume of water that they are curing in. If you change the water twice a week it will speed things up a bit but make sure that you wait until the Ph drops closer to 8 before putting them in your tank.

Ok thanks guy. I guess i will have to do more than one water change per week.

when I make some there is a nice river close to my house....i'm gonna toss em in there for a couple months then check em out hehe =)
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast