Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need help picking a bulkhead

I'm getting close to having a 180 perfecto drilled on the back pane for an OSD style "mini-me" set up. However, I'm not sure about what kind of bulkhead to use.
    First, I'm assuming I'm looking at a 1.5" internal diameter bulkhead (2.5" external diameter). I'm drilling 2 overflows for a sump, one overflow, (or drain) for a closed loop and 2 returns.
    Second to set up the overflow like OSD do I use an internal threaded fitting or a slip fitting?
    Third, is there a preferred type of bulkhead or are they all much the same?
    Any help here would be much appreciated.
    Thanks John

You can use ether threaded or slip fit for the bulkhead fitting John. They are all threaded on the inside front to receive screens, pipe etc. Just make sure you use the right type of glue if it is slip fit at the back side. Use lots of PINK Teflon tape if it is threaded on the back side.
    Also ... make sue to drill the holes low enough for the 90 degree elbow and overflow cup. Buy those parts and DRY fit them first before drilling the holes.
    Rob

If I remember correctly I think I drilled mine 6" from the top lip of the tank to the very top of the hole. I'll conferm that the next time i'm in the living room. Way to much trouble going up and down stairs with a cast on just for one thing. I usually think of a couple of things to do before I go down the stairs and like wise going up!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Thanks guys, I'm getting ready to order my tank from Big Al's and wanted to be clear on the bulkheads. If Big Al's can't get the bulkheads I'm thinking of having them shipped to him to ensure everything fits before it gets all the way out here.
    John

I just PM you john
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

hey johnp... not sure if u talking about BA online or stores... but I also ordered a 1" bulkhead from BAonline and it's in back-order, still haven't gotten it yet. So maybe a good idea to order from other place if u buying online anyway. Ya know BA's "excellent" customer service won't tell u it's back-order until u order and pay for it usually..
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Yeah, I admit this long distance exchange of money for fragile and expensive equipment is making me a little anxious. I'll make sure he has the specified bulkheads before drilling. It's not like there is much of a rush, I don't see the tank with water in it until late fall. John

John .. Don't buy your bulkheads from BA. He charges 30 bucks a piece for the 1.5 inch size. CTC sells them for between 8 and 11 dollars. Ivan also sells bulkheads and they are also cheaper then BA. Mike id about right with 6 inches down to the top of the hole so 7.25 on center from the top edge. It would be better to be a little too deep then a little too shallow
    Rob

I was just plumbing my sysytem yesterday and two of the bulkheads leaked (2 of 8 bulkheads). I lowered the water and sealed it with silicon aquarium seal. The other bulkheads seem okay, should I have silicon these bulkheads?
    John

As stated in other thread, you shouldn't have to seal your builkheads with silicone. Is the glass chipped badly where the leaks were?
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast