Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

My latest little project...

This was nothing way fancy like others are capable of, but I thought I'd share it nonetheless....

Over the last few months, Brent at BigAls and I have been discussing clams... and how to display/sell them properly.

My idea, was to incorporate a smaller tank into his display tank that he's had running for well over a year. This tank would have it's own lighting as well. The display is a 180gal tank complete with calcium reactor. Water parameters are on par.

It was decided that the smaller "Clam" tank would be plumbed into the display tank thus to avoid predation/nipping of the clams, and to properly display them.

I built an arm and pendant to house a simple 250w mogul MH and reflector. It was made so that the pendant could be lowered as needed using chain links. I chose to use an ARC 250w 20k bulb as there is no actinic supplementation needed.

The tank is a standard 30gal breeder tank. It's perfect for clams as it is wide/long, yet not tall.

So, without further ado, here's the clam tank at BigAl's Montreal, already displaying several baby gold maxima's, and some corals from his holding tanks.

My camera is not capable of properly reproducing colors when 20k or actinic bulbs are on... this is the best I could muster...

The paint (also misrepresented in the pics) that I chose was a granite finish hobby paint. Perfect for hiding imperfections, and gives a nice finish.

Close-up of the pendant:

Inside of pendant showing reflector/bulb:

Closer view of the clam tank:

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

baby clams (they are gold, not orange... stupid cam! )

favites:

Candycane:

Very nice Vince. I hope you were paid in clams!

is the canopy made of steel or wood?

Very nice job by the way!!!:thumb:
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Hey!!! I was there yesterday and saw it! When I first saw the display my reaction was "O! WOW!!!" Very nicely done indeed!! :bananadan :bananadan :bananadan :thumb: :thumb:

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Cool

nice work vince! I can tell you that from seeing this and the tank in the back ground that not all BIG ALS are equal! thats awsome.

Yeah, Big AL there is much, MUCH better than what I have seen around here. I was amazed at the amount of livestock they have there. Tanks look very nice and well maintained. There is one lady there that appears to be very knowledgeable. The first time I was there, last fall, I overheard her explaining to a customer the principle of SW cycling and stuff. Amazing.

In any case, yesterday I brought back 1 mexican turbo snail (BIG bugger) and a bunch of cerith snails.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

great work Vince ...I just put a deposit on his 180 gallon tank as well ...

Thanks for the kind words everyone...
    It came out better than I expected, it should help BigAls Montreal maintain a decent clam inventory... Maybe even some more corals as well.

As mentioned, the setup is using a ARC 20k MH bulb. So those of you who ever wanted to see this bulb in action, can now do so.

Joseph,
    Clams is the official currency of Bedrock (The Flintstones)... hehehe, in all truth, I do have a credit at the store now.

mike536,
    The canopy (pendant) is made of 1/2" veneered wood. I used a granite finish paint to give it a different look.

Serge,
    Thanks for the kind words! The lady you're probably referring to is either Gwen or Donna.

Johnny,
    Yes, I think very highly of the BigAls in Montreal. He has knowledgable staff, and great livestock. He goes the extra mile with livestock orders, makes sure they're in good health before selling, allows you to put a fish aside for a week to assure it's in good health... Those are very important things in this hobby... He even takes suggestions from clients, like when I told him that it would be a good idea to stock ReefCrew products (which he did shortly after), and now this clam tank...

Frank,
    Cool, Good luck with it! When's the delivery date? Now you gotta start a thread on that bad boy! hehehee

Well done Vince .. Looks Like a good setup for both the health and display of the clams.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast