Possible boneheaded purchase

Anyone know anything about CPVC?

I'm using it in my nano & I know it's okay for that. I ended up buying a bunch of 3/4" CPVC thinking I'd use it to plumb my return and squirt with.

The only problem is 3/4 CPVC doesn't fit 3/4 PVC fittings. So unless I want to special order check valves and true unions at about $70 a piece I seem to be somewhat boned.

The 3/4" threaded -> slip fittings appear to NPT, so I could join using that, but now I'm worried the smaller ID is going to cost me flow wise more than I'd like.

Sooo. should I suck it up & use the cpvc for aqua scaping or just use threaded fittings for a check valve?

Cheers!

If you use "international standard" threaded fittings that are slip fit on one end for the PCV or CPVC you will be able to mix the two types of piping with male and female threaded adapters.
    Rob

Hey Rob,

What about pressure in the CPVC, the guy at the plumbing store was suggesting I might burst a pipe hooking it up to a mag 12.

Have you heard of any problems with this?

Oh & I'm still learning all this wonderful stuff, but doesn't NPT stand for National Pipe Thread or something like that? Is it the "international standard" you speak of or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

ether one will do as long as the female and male end are the same. So for example a male 3/4 inch CPVC adapter (slip fit at one end and threaded at the other) should screw right into a 3/4 inch female PVC adapter with 3/4 inch slip fit at one end and 3/4 inch thread at the other. The threaded parts should go right together as long as the threaded ends are of the same standard. As for pressure handling abilities I really would not see an issue unless you intend to run the pump with the valves closed. That's the only way that pressure is going to build up inside the pipes other then really long runs ... like in a full house of the stuff. I do not know what the pressure rating for CPVC is but it is classed as potable water quality.
    Rob

Since it's ment to replace copper piping in houses I don't think that's an issue.

Since sched. 80 pvc is ~$8 for 10' it's not that big of a deal to redo everything in pvc.

After putting the two side by side, the interior dimension on cpvc is a lot smaller than on pvc.

I might still use the cpvc after the squirt thought, at least until I get revolutions & have to replumb that part

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

cpvc is rated for 100 psi at 180 F, 400 psi at "room temperature".

Since even a Mag 24 will only lift 20' (@ 2.31 psi / foot) it means about 46 PSI (max with little or no flow -- the pressure drops as water flows), CPVC should stand up to whatever pressure you can dish out ... with a Mag 12.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.