Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choice of router

I'm looking into buying a router (not the LAN-type -). My needs will be limited; I'm not setting up a full wood-working shop.

HD is suggesting a Bosch router which costs around $350. Canadian Tire is selling a Skil router for about $150. Given the limited projected use, I'd rather save some money. But, I am worried about safety and want something which would be relatively easy to use and durable.

Comments from the experts appreciated.
    Nick

Nick ... check out the Pawn shops. Power tools do not hold their value for long. Most people don't have much use for routers and you may find a good deal on a slightly used one.
    Rob

I think OSD means Pawn Shops, not Pond Shops...

You do find some very good deals at Pawn shops, however a lot of those tools come from contractors who have put a lot of use on them. Routers may be different though as I don't know of any contractor that uses them on a jobsite...

Fixed it .. Thanks newguy
    Rob

Thanks for the idea - something I hadn't thought about. However, I'm inclined to buy something new rather than getting it used from a store which has no particular expertise in power tools - I'd like the security of having a supportive store in case I need help.

So, with that in mind, any opinions about the two models I mentioned?
    Nick

Myself I'd go with the cheaper Skill router. Like you said it won't be getting alot of use. Just make sure that you don't force it. Let the router do the work and you should be fine. I think the Bosch is so expensive because of the name and like anything bells and whistles.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I think Home Depot carries a Porter Cable model fixed base router for $180-ish. I personally would suggest a model that can use 1/2" shank and 1/4" shank bits.

The Skil router has 1/4" and 1/2" colletts and also has interchangeable plunge and fixed bases. Interestingly, the Skil web site (www.skil.com) states that Skil Power Tools are products of Robert Bosch Tool Corporation.

Thanks Newguy, I'll look at HD for the Porter Cable. From what I've read, people seem to like them.
    Nick

Both are good brand names Nick. Go with the one that offers the features you need. If both are very similar in their offered features go with biggest motor by amperage rating. Table mountable for future use is also handy.
    Rob

The points raised above about the 1/4 and 1/2 shanks, as well has have plunge capabilites are all good. If I was looking for a new router I'd want all of those, pretty much at the cheapest cost. However, you might want to try posing your question here:

http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast