Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

oystercrete rock finished I think???

I made some oystercrete rock 3 months ago and have been curing it ever since. I finnally got a reading on the test kit of 8.4. I tested the tap water that I have been adding to cure it and it reads 8.4 aswell. This would mean to me that it is finnished. Any comments on the subject before I add it to my display?

Cool

let it sit in saltwater for another few weeks and test again

3 months to cure!

I'm curious about the oystercrete. How did it go?

Michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Johnny, was your DIY rock oyster or aragonite?

I have some aragonite sand, cement and oystershell intended to be DIY rock soon.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Cool

all 3! I used oyster,aragonite [chunky] southdown and portland.and I also took lots of base rock and sea shells and smashed everything and formed pieces.

Well so far the oystercrete is going good. I don't have it the display yet so I can't tell you much. What I can say is that I made about 75lb's of rock for the bargain price of $35. I can make a whole lot mare with the sand and portland I have left. I stopped making it because I ran out of crushed oysters. Plus I ran out of room to cure it. As jonyrock says, I am letting it cure in salt water for about another week. I added some ph down to the curing tank to bring the ph to about 8. If it stays there for the week then I will add it to the display. I am keeping my fingers crossed because I am getting really impatient. I whant to get it in my tank so I can finnally complete my aqua scaping.

just a question ... why add ph down at all ...let it "cure" so that you don't add any additives.... or you will most likely get wrong readings for when you add to yer display

One thing I might suggest, is not to add it all at once. Even after curing there is a chance it will affect your chemistry. Probably best to play it safe and add one piece, leave it for a few days and see if your chemistry is going off. Then add more.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

What ratio or recipe are you guys using?

Generally it is 5 parts aggregate, 1 part cement and 1-2 water (depending on the aggregate it takes more or less water).

The aggregate can be made of actual coral stone, oyster shells, aragonite sand, etc.

I will likely use something like 3-4 parts oyster shell, 1-2 parts medium aragonite sand, 1 cement, 1+ water.

I will also use damp aragonite sand for the mold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast