Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Berlin Skimmer MOD

I am Modifying my Berlin Skimmer because the supplied pump that is rated at 525 GPH as per Red sea is overpowering the height. I could never turn the pumps output to more that about 1/4 turn.
    So I am adding 12 inches to the unit. I started by cutting it near the top into pieces. I went to Canus this afternoon and bough some tubing and this evening I am gluing it back together. I could not get perfect sliding fit tubes so I had to grind opposed angles into the new plastic tub and the original skimmer tube ends for this to work. The old tube was only about 10.5 inches tall. I am now at 22 inches. I hope it's tall enough and not too tall.
    I will keep you posted.
    Rob

The Joint

The joint will also need a final coating of Weldon 16 which i will thicken up even more with Acrylic shavings.
    Rob

Completed

Here it is completed with all 3 tubes in place. Anyone who has seen these skimmers will also perhaps notice that I turned the top 90 degrees when i glued the top back on. I did this so it will exhaust right into my sump from its new location.
    I will water test it tomorrow after work. Total MOD prioce was 5 bucks.
    Rob

"I am Modifying my Berlin Skimmer because the supplied pump that is rated at 525 GPH as per Red sea is overpowering the height. I could never turn the pumps output to more that about 1/4 turn."

Rob I use the same skimmer mine is on a mag 7 I never noticed the pump over powering the height of the bubble chamber.
    I have the mag pushing at full gph as well. So far it has performed great this way for my 90 gal are you using it on the 225? interested to see how your mod works out I was thinking about a skimmer upgrade in the near future :-)

That's interesting orion because I have never from day one been able to run this skimmer with the turbo pump (it's a pinwheel pump) at more then 1/4 turn from closed. I had it hooked up directly to the skimmer in my sump so there was no tubing to speak of between the two. I am egar to see if this will cure the issue. and will post when I get it running again.
    Rob

from the mag 7 to the venturi i have about 8 inch of pipe. mostly to allow the pump and the skimmer to sit in the same compartment in the sump the pipe is bent in a gentil arc other than a bit of tweeking with the air screw it pulls out the crap
    looking foward to your results

I too am running this skimmer although I bought the Turbo upgrade and therefore you have to take the venturi out. I have the pump running at about 3/4 open otherwise the bubbles will "leak" to the outside tube. I am constantly fiddling with this skimmers fine adjustment screw....the skimmate is either too watery or it's not producing much dark stuff. Although I talked to Red Sea and was told if the impeller is black they will replace with new one as the black impeller is pooched from whoever assembled them. So new impeller is on the way.

Mine has a white impeller blade and the highest I have even been able to turn up the pump is like 1/3 rd and it would fill the cup in about 10 minutes with very wet foam. I am running my air at full by the way guys. Don't know where you air setting are but i must run my air full or the pump will over power the skimmer even at the lowest setting.
    Anyway because I see that Berlin now (or maybe always) has a XL model that is much taller, 30 inches I think, so I figured I would make mine an XL as well and see what happens
    I water tested it this morning and it is water tight
    Hopefully I have not made it too tall.
    Rob

Wow! An impressive skimmer compared to what I have.

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

too bad you could not figure out a way that you could of got an oversive tube and have it so you could adjust the height
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast