MH Lighting Wires

Okay, I am finally stepping up my lighting, Only took me 7 years and electricians I could use some help.

So I have bought all the DIY parts to create a hood with 2x 250 MH and 2x 48" VHO's. The MH ballasts are the core type and the VHO ballast is electronic.

I want to put the MH ballasts in the basement and run there output up to the hood, 12ft run max. Now what kind of wire will I need to run? I was also hoping to run the wire from the ballast enclosure (old computer case?) to receptical under the tank and then continue the run with a plug, so I can remove the hood from the tank if req'd and not have to unwire.

So to summerize:
    1. What wire type/spec do I require between my MH ballast and socket?
    2. Can I use a receptacle/plug in the middle as a disconnect (ballast would be off at this time)?
    3. What type of wire to connect the VHO ballast to endcaps?

Thanks for the help.

question 1... use 18/3 wire insulated suitable for wet locations

question 2... not advisable.. use a longer cord but if you need to make a disconnect use those exterior grade sealed boxes and make the disconnect point away from the water

question 3... use a solid core wire 18 awg rated to 600volt

oh ya forgot the disclaimer <GRIN>
    I am not a electrician use the above post at your own risk

MH ballasts are recommended to be as close to the lamps as possible. how do you plan 12 feet if your tank is on the main floor and the ballast is in the basement? even 12 feet is pushing it.

Johnny,
    why are they recomended to be close to one another is it a voltage drop thats the issue? could he not use thicker wire guage? to keep the voltage up

Probably to reduce wire resistance and capacitance which ultimately affect the final input at the light bulbs. Just my $0.02

Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

I was thinking along orion's lines but any electricians want to chime in?

What is the max distance between ballast and lamp jonny?

I estimated 12 feet as the hood is ~6 off the floor and I need to run it ~ 6 feet in the basement to a shelf. If I have to I can put it under the tank, I am concerned about the heat in a sealed area and my kids getting in.

I look forware to more advice.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Hi Shipwreck,

I started writing out as big reply to your questions but it is a whole lot easier to just tell you over the phone and ask follow up questions, give me shout on my cell and I can walk you through it.

I have rolls and rolls of wire you can have for FREE what colours would you like?

Cheers
    Lou
    PS not much in the way of Reef stores in Tenesse just Pet Smart stores as we suspected so needless to say I didnít bring anything back maybe on the next outing.