Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what size acrylic for sump?

I'm in the planning stages for a sump for a 180 gal. Its a skimmer>output>refugium style (three chambers) with approx dimensions of 20w x 15h x 50l. I'm thinking 1/4" is acrylite ff is probably fine given that the sump is internally braced by dividers for each section. There is a big difference in price out here between 1/4 and 3/8 so I'm looking to save a few bucks on the acrylic. Does this sound ok?
    John

Finally at the stage of the sump hey John. If ya need a hand i'm always around. Wish I had more info on your questions. Sorry
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

1/4 would be for a 12 in tank MAX.....as per my reaserch and questions and readings latelty at 15 in high the minimum would be 3/8.Hope this helps.

Personnally...i would NOT take a chance with 1/4.Depending on how you will do the top portion you might be able to get away with a 1/4 on top....
    Derik...

Thanks guys,
    just at the planning stages, the 180 I've ordered is being drilled now so I thought about the sump. Unfortunately, I can't really get into the sump until I have the stand to work on. However, the price of acylic out here is criminal...350$ for an 4'x8' of 3/8s. I'm thinking about having it shipped in or getting some next time I'm in Halifax
    John

Just some little info on you acrylite ff,to make you think a little before you buy.

To push that material through an extrusion machine requires it to be low density. That means weak, not to solvent resistant,not able to withstand heat, lower melting temperature etc.
    This is all oppose to Acrylite GP. That is casted in the mold. The polymer is very dense. It came be, because it is poured in a mold.
    Derik...

Derik, what kind of difference is there in price? seems that most people are building sumps with arcylite ff.
    John

It could be but by the reviews ive been reading the way i see it it is not made to hold water.Great for building acrylic stuff for at home and such but as for something that would hold water ,i wouldnt.But hey that just me...you can try and see.Are you building downstair or upstair?As for the price ive only checked quickly and it looks like its approx 15% more...but that was just in us price and in the us.......and just quickly on a few american site......

so you finally got a hold of a tank.....were did you get it?you must be super anxious to set it up..
    Derik...

Thanks Derik,
    I'm getting the tank from Big Al's in Montreal. Brent seems very fair and willing to help get the system set up. The tank is a 180 gal perfecto, plus stand. The tank was 500$ and the stand was about 450$. Of course the price goes up with plumbing etc, but still I'm happy about the price and the service. He's going to ship here for about 200$
    John

A bunch of us are buying tanks at from Brent. His pricing and service is attracting lots of attention.

I don't have the tank yet, but I'll tell you I'm impressed by a guy that spends 40 minutes on the phone discussing hole placement before the tanks is drilled so I'll be delighted with the end result. Sadly, I don't see that kind of service out this way.
    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast