Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

general plumbing questions

Just a few general plumbing questions probably every already knowsthe answer to, but here goes.
    1. What's better gate or ball valves?
    2. I'm using a T4 velocity pump with 1" barbs, what size pipe to go into the pump and what size to leave?
    3. Is braided pvc suitable for joining a pump like T4 to ABS for pressure applications?

Thanks
    John

1 - Gates valves are far more accurate when fine tuning is required. Ball valves which are cheaper are OK for strictly ON/OFF operations.

2 - Go 1 inch everywhere and reduce at the right at pump as necessary.

3 - I prefer to use other the braided hoses because they are far more difficult to get onto barbs. Even if you heat them up in hot water the braiding dose not allow for much increase in the inside DIA size. It would be safe however most use white PVC spa flex hoses.

Rob

Whats the price of Spa flex up your way OSD. It's pretty pricy here. I thinki'm going to have to redo my plumbing again and i'm going to be using the braided hose. Half the price compared to Spa Flex here which goes over $3.00 per foot. Thats the 1" stuff. Pretty crappy pricing!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Thanks Rob and Mike,
    I'm having 1.5" bulkheads on the closed loop (run by a T4), I'm hoping this means high flow with less high pressure flow. If 1" drain and return sounds safe, I'll go with that and use a reducer at the bulkhead. Spaflex looks nice, I just feel its too stiff to clamp down on the pump and get a good fit.
    Thanks again guys
    John

I think people fit the Spa flex tube inside of the fittings john. For example ABS pipe fitting into a coupling(spelling) I'm not 100% sure but I think thats the way it's done.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Plus, the Spaflex is glued to the ABS rather than connected using a clamp.
    Nick

Both above are correct. Spa Flex is glued into "slip fit" PVC or ABS fittings. IF you go PVC to PVC then use PVC glue. If however you go PVC to ABS you will need a "transition" adhesive. They sell it at Rona, HD, CTC .. It's not expensive.
    I have not seen the braided PVC hose your talking about but if it is PVC and fits the fittings you can use it.
    Ivan has Spa flex pricing in the dry good section .. I think it is under plumping supplies.
    Rob

Technically, you should use a cleaner and then use a PVC cement made for flexible applications when using SpaFlex.

If you aren't using the flexible aspect of SpaFlex all the time, you can get away with standard cement.

I don't know if there is a flexible transition cement available. I don't know if the flexible cement is available around town or not.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I wouldn't suggest gluing spaflex to ABS. Spaflex requires special "spaflex glue" that takes it's flexibility into account. That said, I've never seen "Transition spaflex glue".

I have a whole assortment of PVC, ABS, and transition glues at home from my last tank re-plumbing.... Oh, and a little suggestion. Make sure you work with this stuff in a WELL ventilated room. The fumes are POTENT.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Go away Tang thats the fun of it all. Just like your drunk with out the bloated feeling!!!!LOL
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast