overflow and plumbing

i finnally decided to get 35g tank and it out to get drilled now. i got a basic overflow box, 6x4.5x5.5, but i think i;m going to make it about half the size. and for the return i'm going to use a half inch abs u-shape fitting with an 90 degree elbow that i can swivel. i'm going to be using some abs cement to seal the fittings, is this stuff reef safe? i also need a way to secure the u-fitting on my tank, i dont; want to just have it hanging htere, any ideas?

i'm also using a 2.5in bulkhead that screws on so i won;t need glue but will i have to glue the overflow to the tank or bulkhead or can i just screw in overflow between the tank?
    Vu

1) Once cured, ABS cement should be safe.

2) What size/type of return pump are you planning to use?

3) Is the overflow a full box with a hole where the bulkhead would go? If so, I think you could use the bulkead to hold it in place. However, I used silicone to attach mine to the glass tank.
    Nick

i'm not sure what size pump i need, i was thinking about 500gph returning into a 1.5in fitting, will this be enough flow with my maxi-jet 1200? 1.5 return seems a bit big to me should i get a reducer to get a faster flow?
    what brand pump should i get? i was thinking of a mag 5

the overflow box i got is too big for my tank, so i was thinking of modifying it to make it a bit shorter and thinner so its just a bit bigger than the bulkhead. how well will it work if i make it that small?
    Vu

1) A Mag 5 won't give 500 GPH (assuming you will have it in a sump) since it will lose head. The estimated flow would be closer to 300 GPH. However, in a 35G tank, that, plus an MJ1200, sounds reasonable. Might depend somewhat on your plans to livestock to keep.

2) Mag pumps are fine but need bigger return pipes than the pump connector. I think a Mag 5 would need 1" returns. If you use that back to the tank, you could add 'eductors' or similar things to increase the flow if needed.

3) According to the Reef Central drain calculator, for 500 GPH, you would need a 1" drain and 8" of overflow box. For 300, you'd only need 5". Looks like you could make the box smaller. But, if you make it too small, you won't be able to get your hand into it to do work and won't have the clearence to add elbows, etc if needed.
    Nick

what do u mean 5in of overflow? from the back of the tank or width?

Vu

'linear overflow' is the some of the width (left to right) and depth (fron to back) of the overflow box. So, if you box is 5" from left to right, 3" from front to back and 6" from top to bottom, it would have 8" of linear overflow (5+3).
    Nick