Design on a Dime?

Hi guys this is my first post and I must say I am very new to all this but already obsessed!

To the point, I am a designer by trade so needless to say I want to create a tank that is compleatly different from what is out there. Possably sell some to retail furniture stores.

My problem is, I can not get the price down to a reasonable level. I live in the US and it seems like whenever I show the total design, its like a jackpot sign goes off and they want $$$$$$$. Way more then what I have ever seen a tank that size ever sell for retail. The local fish store wanted $10,000 for a 55 gal.

No one is going to buy a 55 gal for that price no matter how cool it looks. Realistiy, I can not go over $3000 total and thats pushing it.

My quotes are all over the place. For example, the tank has a bowfront shape. I have seen larger ones on line for under 1000 and they claim each tank is made to order. My prices have been anywhere from 2,500- to 4,500 for the same sketch! They give me the "curves are hard to do" line. I know what it takes, I know how much the material costs so it really comes down to how much they think they can charge. I worked with acrylic in college so I actually know what is involved, its not that complicated. I think wood is more work to be truthful.

So my question is, do you guys have any suggestions or places you could recomend for Wood Cabinety, Steel Welding and Acrylic Fabrication that do good work and are reasonable in price? Maybe a small shop, carpenter, etc.

I am trying to avoid typical "aquairum" shops as they mark up like 3 times their cost.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

[welcome]

$10,000 for a 55G sounds way too high. The usualy estimate is around $50US/gal for a stocked and functional tank (about $2,80 for a 55G).

There are many manufacturers who make standard bow-front tanks in the size range you are wanting. Sounds like you need a new LFS :-) Where in the US are you located? You might want to check out the 'for sale'/'for trade' pages on ReefCentral or the club pages for you area on that web site.

Also, the more of the construction you can do yourself, the less money you will need to spend.
    Nick

i'll supply you one for $9500.00. us of course.
    We need more Indians!

Ill even make it a 90g
    We need more Indians!

On a side note if you make a steel frame and/or canopy make sure it's painted good. If not it would rust like a Basket!!!!.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott