Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sump design input

Hi guys,

Can you give me input on my DIY sump plan?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks
    st

You can lose a few baffles at the end if you keep the space between them 2 inches or less. I had the exact set up and ended up removing two baffles as the water flow was restricted too much. I know you're trying to use them as a bubble stop but with a mag 18 (which I use also) the water level in the last space will stay high enough and the bubbles will never make it to the bottom. I have 1 inch openings on teh bottom. I have attached a drawing of my sump/refugium after I removed my last baffles. Just from my experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sump design input-sump-refugium.jpg  
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Here's a diagram of my whole system. I run two refugiums...one sump type, and one gravity fed. Works great and all off a Mag 18.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sump design input-refugiumsetup.jpg  
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

One more thing....you won't need the 45 degree bend on the end of the fill line. I would just let it drop straight in, and drill 4 1/2 inch holes at teh bottom of the pipe to avoid any burping noises etc....up to you...the 45 bend won't do much but could slightly stall the water causing gurggling noises.

Do you have a skimmer ? where should it be located.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot for your input mouse! I will do the changes you mentioned tonight and re-post the updated diagram. Quite impressive your setup with 2 refugiums. Wish I had the room hehe, this will be the living room showtank...

Moretank, I do not have a skimmer yet but I was going to ask this as my next question... ;-) Can I put it with the refugium?

Thanks
    st

Basically the same setup as me except I use aMAG 12 for returns and a MAG 7 for gravity refug. I have a small SEACLONE[modify'd] skimmer sitting right smack dab in the middle of the SUMP/REFUGIUM/CRYPTIC ZONE. As a matter of fact I use no baffles but have the water enter a small rubbermade box with holes cut in the side. No bubbles.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    ST,

Your sump design is very similar to mine...
    However, I ended up needing 3 baffles near the return pump, as my skimmer was returning many bubbles back into the sump. I would suggest adding the 3rd baffle now while the sump is dry and not in use. This way, you won't have to go through what I did in this thread:
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ghlight=baffle

Anyhow, Another thing you'll need to identify, is where your skimmer intake/return will be.

Hope this helps.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Cool, johnny and tang_man... Thanks for both your input based on what I can understand (passing this whole tread in the blender hehe) is that the safe way of doing it (no offense to any other designs) is to keep my end baffles just ot be on the safe side (do you agree johnny?) and as far as my skimmer position is concerned, I was hoping to put it in the cryptic zone but I was wondering how to position the Mag 7 (which I'll use for the skimmer) so it won't collect the sand at the bottom of the cryptic zone.. (maybe a dumb question)

Thanks
    st

Supertanker...

Leave the baffles in and try it out as they are esily removed but hard to put in once up and running. If you ass a skimmer, add it after the refugium...no sense removing nutrients that your refugium will need. If you aren't running a skimmer, add mangroves in the refugium. I have about 8 in mine now and my skimmer has almost stopped removing waste. If you use a cheaper skimmer, then add just a few mangroves. Makes a huge difference.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast