Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

treating RO/DI top-off water

Hi,
    I was wondering if I should be treating my top-off RO/DI water prior to adding it to tank. Currently, the water is collected into a resevoir and is heated and aerated. Should I be adding any buffers etc. or is simply heating and aerating enough?

Thanks

You don't even need to heat & airate.

You should be topping off frequently enough that the straitgh up RO/DI water is fine.

If you want to, you can use Kalkwasser as your top-off if you have the Ca / Alk demands in your tank, but then you definatly don't want to airate the mix & heating this IMHO is a waste of energy unless where you're keeping it is incredibly cold...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

As Krugar said, you >can< add whatever you want. It doens't hurt to heat and aerate, but, given that you will typically top up less than a cup of water at a shot, the effect will be minimal either way.

If you are manually topping up more than a gallon at a shot, you should still be adding it slowly enough not to have an impact.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Cool. Thanks! I won't bother aerating/heating any longer. This will save me some $$ on the hydro bill, although its likely minimal. More importantly, it'll free up some outlets!!

What about making replacement water for a water change. I assume that the volume of water is significant enough that aerating is necessary?? Is it necessary then to "treat" the water with pH buffers etc.??

Won't hurt

I use a power head to mix my water and I let it sit for at least a day before doing a partial.

I also heat the new water, but I'm changing ~20% of the tank when I do a partial.

Cheers.

I would at least balance PH. Otherwise, over time, you will lower the PH of your water....
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Hmmm. Granted top off water does have a lower pH, but I don't see that as much of concern unless you're never going to do a partial.

JR's tank is the longest waterchange free set up I know of, I'd guess he'd be in the best position to tell if long term top-off with untreated RO/DI is an issue for him or not...

Cheers!

If you top up 10 gallons a week in a 100 gallon aquarium with PH 7 water into your reef with a PH 8.3 I guarantee you will see the PH lower over 1 week. I'm sure someone can look up the math and tell us how much.

Maybe not much if you're buffered well. I don't know though, I always top off with Kalk.

Well smaller scale, but I can know from experience that ~1G per week RO/DI top off in a 10G tank has zero effect on the pH. This tank is over a year old & the pH has always been 8.3.

I did biweekly partials, and only dosed kalk in that tank to teach myself how to. The tank just didn't "eat" enough Ca & ALK to make kalk worth it.

If I had to guess, trying to remeber my chemistry, pH is the negitive log of avialbe hydrogen ions. Ion's don't really like to hang around & tend to bind to something as soon as they can.

Which I think is why buffering keeps your pH stable. Anyway, if I remeber that part right, then keeping your pH low requires that there's either nothing for the H- to attach to, or there's something producing more H- than the system can absorb.

But I'm stuck in the lab today and it's not a chem lab so I'm guessing

Cheers!

I only have a layman's knowledge of PH (and no desire to take that learning further) so I will yield the science to yourself.

Gonna leave ya with a little WetWebMedia before I run off to the cottage! Cheers

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rofaq3.htm

Evaporation top-off: Take RO water, aerate and heat for a day. This is where I'm a little unsure. Test the water parameters and buffer as according? <I'm not sure you need to heat the top off, unless you add it in bulk quantities.> Set pH and Buffer according to main tank display, right? <Ideally, yes.>

Ideal to match PH yes.

Necessary, prolly not if you're buffered adequately and doing your partials.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast