What to do, what to do?

Hey there guys,

I had freshwater fish all through growing up but now I want to get into something more complex on my way to reefing.

But, I want to build everything myself. So, I investigated how to do it and drew up plans for a 75g tank in a wood frame. I have a very sturdy unused desk to use as a stand but now thinking about a possible 900lbs on my apt floor is making me a little nervous.

I live on the second floor of an old house, about 60 years old and although the floors seem sturdy enough I'm sure my neighbour downstairs wouldn't appreciate it if a tank came crashing through her ceiling. My landlord would probably (definitly) string me up as well.

So, I'm asking if I should be worried? I mean 75g isn't excessively big is it? Should I just trim it down to 30-40g? Everyone says that you should go as big as you can and since I'm building it why not?

Awaiting your thoughts...

If you can place it near a load bearing wall, and if the floors are solid and not springy, you should be fine. 900 lbs is obviously heavy but, if it is divided over a few floor joists it should be fine. My house is 43 years old and it is okay with a 75 main and 65 sump next to a load bearing wall (1st floor mind).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

First, welcome to AC

Second, It really depends on the joists of the floor. I was living in an appt built in 1895. I'm not sure if the joists were original, but the ones that were used in the crawl space were more than thick enough for my 120. As long as your tank sits perpendicular to the joists (and they are of decent size), you should have no problems. Remember your tank is not a point load, it is spread across a few feet.
    -Dazz

Thanks for the reassurance.

I was just thinking that I have an extra doorway between two that just remains closed off. So it if I put it there it would actually be ON a load bearing wall, and convienently viewable from both rooms.

Any tips on tank construction? ie what not to do?

How to test the solidity of your floor in 3 easy steps:

1. Draw the location of your tank on the floor.
    2 . Get as many of your bud's that will fit to stand in that spot.
    3. Fill them up with beer.

:drunk:
    P.S. I'm french so I never make any typos......they are actual mistakes :sorry:
    I'm not in a rush.....but I am on a budget! :bigcry:

I was thinking about that...would I trust 7-8 friends to stand on that spot? Yes, I would. But just to make sure I'll have to have a party.