Autotop-off wierdness / near flood

Hi all,

I had a flood a while back that didn't make much sense. Ended up we blamed it on our 3 year old playing with the float switch in my sump.

Anyway, I had a second close call where the autotop-off almost filled the sump. So I rebuilt the float switches & I have 2 low level switches and 1 high level cut off. The low levels are normally open, the high level is normally closed.

Everything was working as expected & I let the extra water evaporate.

This morning I opened the valve on my RO unit to refill the resovoir & left it running. This shouldn't be a problem, the resovior has a float valve.

Anyway I ate breakfast, came back & the sump was full up to the high level switch. This isn't a latching circut. The two low levels should control the water level, the high level is an "emergency" cut off.

Every time this has happened my protien skimmer has completely freaked out. The reaction tube fills with water and I'm getting almost zippo bubbles. It's an AC skimmer driven by a Mag7. I don't know if this is a symptom of, or the cause of the wierdness.

This time, possibly because of the new high level switch, the collection cup didn't fill with water, the other two times it did.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

couldn't tell ya much without seeing it but sump levels will affect skimmers that I know.also, are you direct wiring the float switches with 110v

On my skimmer, it has an air inlet hole and if the sump fills up too much (always by accident of course), the air inlet hole draws in water. This makes the skimmer not work so well.
    It's an in-sump skimmer.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I've modified one of Tang_man's relays to use 3 switches instead of one & tested it with a lamp before moving it to the sump.

The skimmer uses a kent venturi and it's impossible for it to go under water. I suppose I may not be cleaning it enough, I've only been cleaning the venturi when I do my partials.

I could try doing it when I clean the sponge on the Mag7, once a week.

The skimmer is in-sump as well.

I'll take some photo's & post them later now that I've rebuilt the home systems.

Cheers!

if the height changes in the sump it can mess with your skimmer settings. I find the slightest change in back pressure will do this. not sure if thats your problem

Are you possible setting up a syphon from the top off to the sump? You should make sure that the end of the top off line is above the max water level in the top off container, or have a syphon break in there.

Once the sump is too high, all bets are off on the skimmer.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hmmm.... I'm going to have to check that out cres. I didn't think it was, but that might fit. The water volume is right for a siphon problem, but oddly it's not happening all the time...

Regardless, I think I'll poke a 1/8" hole in the hose just above the water line in the reservoir. That should remove the issue from the equation.

Cheers!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I think Cres nailed it on the head... Keep us informed.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Will do, I'm should be evaporated back down to normal tank volumes tomorrow, which means the auto top off might fire on Tuesday.

I drip kalk with a dosing pump at 120mL / hour which is just under my evap rate (about 165 - 180mL / hour). End result the auto-top off doesn't go off daily.

Cheers!