Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

montreal where to buy ?????

I'm loocking to buy some dowflake it's a companie that makes salt for deicing in the winter and some pickled lime i think it's called , what store in the mtl region have these products better yet if someone know a store in brossard it would be even better.
    thanks for your help rick

Well..., you won't be able to find any de icing salt..., yet!! As to the pickling lime, it's not sold in Quebec..., illegal here because it's supposed to be too caustic. You can find it any Lowes store in Ontario though. Take my advice though and use Kalkwasser powder made for the hobby. It's better as it doesn't leave any residual paste as the pickling lime usually does.

Thanks toutouche guess i will follow your advice and stick whit kalk powder looks like less trouble and for the de icing salt it wont be long beford we will be using it

What do you want to use that salt for? Not simply for the tank I hope??!!!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Toutouche,

The dow flake can be used as a calcium supplement as per Randy Holmes in this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/chem.htm
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Well, I haven't had time to read that yet, but I still don't believe it's worth it. Sometimes, it's not the best idea to try and skimp on things or use alternatives that were not meant for the use.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I agree. You just don't know what impurities may be introduced from one batch to the next.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

my sentiments exactly. while it is used by many there is just no stringent testing and production of road salt for a tank! who knows what the front end loader was moving before he say moved a batch of sald to be bagged. just to iffy for me to save a few bucks.

i figured that if a man whit the reputation of randy would not lead fellow reeffers in a bad situation i read a couple of his article and he knows what he's talking about but everybody is intitle to his opinion and all yours have not gone onheard ,i havent heard of someone having a disaster hapen from these recipes will have to do more searching just to be on the safe side thanks guys

Yes, and this is why I am not an advocate of pickling lime..., even though I thought it was harmless in the beginning of my reefing days. Again, the same for using baking soda. A couple years ago, it was thought dine to use always, but then after a few years of people doing this, Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner found that it caused problems/imbalances longterm and in the end,they changed their views so that it should only be used in an emergancy situation till the store opened the next day. Many people still use it on a regular basis though...
    Bottomline is that the products we use follows the same old rule that I believe in. While this hobby IS very much a DIY type of hobby, we should at the sametime use the products, or more specifically, the chemicals MEANT to be used for the hobby. This however touches that touchy subject of it being an expensive hobby and if you can't afford it, then stay away from it. Many people get insulted by this, but if you stop and analyze the meaning behind this, you'll see that it's usually for a reason which is most often a better health of the tank itself as a whole.
    rick,
    I was typing this at the same time you posted. Yes Randy does indeed know what he's talking about, but it's just that "unknown" factor that always gets introduced when using a chemical made for something else and that doesn't follow the strict "foodgrade" rule & regulations for lack of a better word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast