Thread: return water

return water

Hi all,
    I'm soon gonna order the bulkheads and drill the required holes for my tank...and was wondering...I'm gonna have a 2" pipe for an overflow (OSD style) and 1 1/2 inch return line from a mag 12..now the question is should I return the water over the tank or should I drill through for the return? it's a 50 gallon tank but I want water movement. and should I split the return and have two return entering the tank or leave it with one? and where should I place em.

thanks for your time
    Tic

P.S if the 12 is too much flow I have a 9.5 and a 7 also so it can be changed but I think the 12 will be awesome!oh and about 4 foot of head
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    tictoc,
    I'd use the Mag12, split the return into 2x 1" returns at each rear corner pointing toward the front of the tank at different angles. That way, you'll get some nice chaotic movement.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

You can opt to use jacuzzi type bulkheads for your returns, I think OSD is doing that. Or use simple bulkheads with baskets or add an elbow to direct flow. This is cleaner, more efficient, but, less configurable and will cost you the price of two extra holes in your tank.

You can also choose to use over the tank plumbing which is less appealing visually, gets in the way, but, is easier to reconfigure.

Myself, I have my main return through a ReefRat (formerly Harley's) and I have two closed loops, intakes (two, one for each loop) are low spaced across back. My returns are currently simple hoses, but, I plan to buy two Oceans Motions 1/2' Revolutions for the closed loops as they alternate and the revolutions are triggered by the on/off flow of water.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I really like the jacuzzi directional jets. I can direct the water anywhere in the tank. i can also remove the jets and thread in standard piping if I decide to change things around.
    Rob

I would like to find them to have a look but I just can't seem to find them here, tried Canadian tire, homedepot ect ect with no luck..I duno, maybe if I had the sku#
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Tic, there's a place on Kenmount Rd. that sells jacuzzi equipment Clearwater Pools - 753 0100, also another place on Pippy, can't remember the name off-hand.

hth

I was into the place on pippy and they wanted 60ish bux for a schedule 80 2" bulkhead which is a tad overkill for what I want but i'll try clearwater pools for sure. thanks =)

Tic

Another place to pick up the plumbing gear is Smith Stockley on LeMarchant. If they don't have it you're probley not gonna find it in town, they're also a little pricey. I think a 1 1/4 was around 30.

Try on-line at Jacuzzis home page or a spa shop.
    Rob