Lightbulb oysters for home grown

oyster shells for home grown rock may not be as good as I planned.

Apparently shells absorb a lot of chemicals.

A staff member at Steeles Big Als was telling me that he placed some shells into a fish tank. These ended up wiping out the tank (fish, corals). He believed that fumes of diesel from the machinery used to get the shells (front end loader) or the crusher or even the truck were absorbed into the shells.

I confirmed this "urban legend" with Lab Staff at my hospital ( a friend with a degree in chemistry). Yes the shells do absorb chemicals.

I think that IF (big if) I use shells at the very least I will boil them in a hope to release the heavy chemicals- maybe wishful thinking?

I also asked the feed supply girl that surely the shells are food grade? "you would be supprised what animals can digest" was the answer. Kind of makes you queezy doesn't it?

Just food for thought for those of us that are contemplating home made rock.
    I have a lot of Patients

well I and many many many others have used the crushed oysters and hav not had any problems. You have to rince them good before u use them and then you have to make sure that they are fully cured before u put them in the tank. Knowing the knowledgable staff at big als, they probably tried to use the oysters as substrate right out of the bag lol. Anyway, my experience with them has been a good one so far and it cost a hell of a lot less than live rock. Just my 2 cents.

Hmmm.
    Does Salifert make a diesel fuel test kit?

It was this slow release that cooled my rockets on home brew rock, but, inheriting a pile of live rock shelved the idea for now. I still like the idea of some table like structures for the bottom of the tank, supporting the live rock and leaving the sand bed for my pistol shrimp to mess around with.

I think that you should be safe if you leave the rocks to cure, with water changes alone the way, for a long enough period. Especially if you boil the shells to start.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

A staff member at Steeles Big Als was telling me that he placed some shells into a fish tank. These ended up wiping out the tank (fish, corals). He believed that fumes of diesel from the machinery used to get the shells (front end loader) or the crusher or even the truck were absorbed into the shells.
    Doesn't surprise me. I'm betting he just dumped the shells in, maybe boiled them first?

When you make DIY rock, your supposed to let it cure in water (with regular changes) for 8 - 12 weeks. The last phase (once the cement allows the pH to drop into the 8.5ish range) is salt water.

That's going have a much bigger effect that tossing the shells into a tank.

YMMV though.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Oh another thought I bought 2 boxes of reef bones from Ivan & we were both pretty impressed with the look dry.

They're now entering their 4th month under water & I'm surprised at how fast they're turning purple & the stars, worms, & pods have taken to them much faster than tufa.

I have no problem recommending reef bones, you guys should have look at them.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.