external overflow question...

OK I've decided to go with a overflow box on the back of my tank question is can it be make (must be custom I'm guessing) to go over my euro bracing (aprox 2 1/3 inch lip) ??

Tank (95 gal) cannot be drilled as it's tempered.

good luck. I have about the same problem. My rim is a normal thickness though. I can't find a HOB overflow anywhere except Big Al's and they whant $130 for the stupid thing. I know there are a few people that have built their own but IMO it is risky.

Are you sure the back is tempered? Often it is just the bottom pane which is tempered.

You might be interested in this DIY page (http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html). This design might be flexible enough to make fit over your bracing. You might need to add some supports to keep it vertical and in place.

Alternatively, try talking to the folks at Acrylic City (they have a forum on this site). THey do custom acrylic design work and could likely come up with something.

But, the general view would be that an over the top overflow is less secure and 'good' then a drain in the wall.
    Nick

As for myself I went with an overflow as my tank is not drill... I looked everywere and the best price I came across was on Ebay. I won a Tidepool SOS overflow for 60.00US shipping included. And it's working like a charm since it's been in used it as never lost it's siphon.

So I would look on Ebay if I were you.

Smile

just drill the tank [or get it drilled] and you can either build a box on the inside or just attach a strainer or make a DIY box out of ABS. OSD has one as does FISHERMAN.
    are you sure the back is tempered??

I went home for lunch because the suspence of not being 100% sure was killing me and yes both back and bottom is tempered .. If I didn't get such a smokin deal on teh whole system I'de be pretty choked at myself right now so all I can do is either customize a skimmer or do a DIY overflow box and go sump route which is a good option for me and what I think I will do.

Smile

well,IMO get another tank and get it drilled or buy it that way.
    DIY hangon boxes are a RISK!!!! that I would never take.
    how about the front glass of the tank? is the entire tank tempered probaly I imagine its a PERFECTO tank. if the front could be the back that would work. or just no sump

Cant flip the tank around its a flat back 50"x24"x18"deep tank front is rouded corners LOOVE the look of the tank and the ligting and everything came with it and for what I paid (4 foot hamilton lightin set up with 2 vho's and 1 halides) I pretty much just paid for the stand...lol... I'll go with what I got and chance it with a overflow I guess (I know I've heard the horror stories as well) but then again there are pros and cons to both sides... aggg the joys of reefing :hammerhea