Auto Phyto Reactor

I have never grown phyto but would like to start. Before I setup anything though I was wondering if any one has tried to make an auto dosi.ng phyto reactor. The TOTM of RC mentions an auto doser for phyto but no details.

I was wondering if I had a large enough container of phyto going then pumped in new RO water (maybe from a source with fertilizer in it) displacing the phyto like a kalk reactor if it would be able to support this?

Basically a hands free (mainly) that would grow and dose a set amount at a regular interval. Suggestions would be great.

I was finally able to get the RC search and found the TOTM thread about his reactor.

He Writes: "AcroSteve, phyto reactor is a 2-gallon jar with overflow. One peristaltic pump dose aquarium water to the jar through ~ 50 m sieve, same amount of phytoplankton will go back to aquarium through overflow. Another peristaltic pump dose phyto food needed for fresh added amount of water. I use ~ of normal phyto food dosage to minimize unused nutrients in phytoplankton."

Has anyone else tried something of this nature? This is a 8-9 liter jar which he says he pumps out ~750ml/day. Does phyto grow fast enough to do this well long term?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

The more commonly seen method seems to have about 50% of the water with phyto removed each 1-3 days. So, the system should sustain 1/8 volume loss per day. I would guess you need to leave it for a few days before starting.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    The problem i see with this is trying to determine the proper dosage without causing a bloom.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I'm not sure I understand the "~ 50 m sieve" on the tank water into the Phyto reactor. My guess is to keep Rotifers and such out of the reactor and keep it a Phyto reactor not a refugium of sorts. I wonder how often the sieve needs to be cleaned out.

And, based on Vince's reservations, I would scale the jar to match the ratio of your tank to the TOTM (both gallons and Phyto eating load). I presume the Phyto will reproduce to fill the jar and eat the food. Probably best to start with a lower food volume and increase until you get it "just right".
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

My next problem would be to find 2 parastolic pumps capable of controlling to this level without putting me into the poor house.

I haven't actually started growing phyto manually or automatically, so would his comment to use 1/4 of the food ( I assume the fertilizer) be a good way to help the main tank from getting over polluted without sacrificing the long term of the phyto growth?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Ebay sells used hosptial pumps, usually under $100.

I've got a FlexiFlo III, but it took a couple weeks to source out the tubing & Ross (the company that made them) could care less 'cuz the discontinued them years ago. I picked it up in our classifieds though, not on Ebay.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.