Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Painting inside of sump

Money is tight, and I had a lot of old plywood laying around, so I built my sump out of that. I left an opening in the front so I could see in. I have been looking for what paint to use on the inside of the sump. Can anyone recommend something that can be used.

I went to Home Depot, and they have a marine paint, but it is intended for painting boats above the water line. This paint will not do. Rona and Colour Your World don't carry anything. I went to Randall's Paints, and all they have is a two part epoxy paint that is toxic. That won't do either. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

There is this stuff:
    http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...11733/cid/3035 but it is pretty pricey. I thought people with wood tanks usually just coated the inside with several layers of fiberglass? Don't quote me on that though.

check my gallery i had once made a plywood tank.

A few layers of fiberglass, then you can use glass shield paint, their on the south shore it's a 2 part epoxy paint for potable water cistern's it's not that pricy

Chris
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

I found something called Klenk's Epoxy Enamel. It is a tub and tile finish that is non-toxic, safe for babies, and water proof. Any opinions on this stuff?

Well Gee's if it's safe for Babies what harm could it be for Fishies????
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

you need fiberglass and /or 2 part expoxy . no way around it. its not toxic when cured and thats why people use it for HUGE tanks with front view. this aint cheap and you might save very little as opposed to a tank. it takes many coats.

Many years back (about 20 or so) my brother had built a 120 out of plywood, and finished the inside off with two part epoxy. No fiber glass. That tank lasted many many years until he sold it. Only problem now is where do you find two part epoxy that is not sold in gallon pails at $120-$160?

After seeing another wood sump I am planning on building one and using the rubber pond liner to line the inside. It is cheap, easy to work with and designed for fish.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

percula if money is tight why don;t u just use a rubbermaid container? seems like making a small sump would cost just as much as buying a tank
    Vu

guys, once you prices out wood, 2 part epoxy and or a pond liner you could have bought a good rubber maid bin or even a use or new tank [glass or acylic] I do not trust pondliners personally and how do you get one that would be in a nice square shape for your sump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast