Aquarium Plastic mouldings??

Who supplies the plastic black mouldings at the top and bottom of tanks. i want to buy them mine are loose.

those are very hard to find. I'm building a tank and can't find them anywere and the tank manufactors will not part with them.

Taken from CanReef forum:
    black plastic trim for tank perimeters? Seastar charges something like 30 cents per inch!!
    Cheers

Just glue them back in place with silicone ...

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

John,
    Why do you want them anyways? Aren't you doing Eurobracing? You don't need the trim in that case. Also, at the bottom, it is much nicer with some trimwork done to the stand it will be on.
    On my current tank, I actually pulled them off. They also hold saltcreep at times and stop the cleaning magnet from going completely up to the top.

greg

The only reason was to help in alining the glass sections when siliconing but its not neccesary. Could you tell me since you have the moldings off if the side panels are sitting on top of the bottom glass or siliconed to the sides of the bottom glass? You probaly have it trimmed and can't see that at this point right? I'm so excited and can hardly wait!

John,
    My tank never had mouldings along the bottom, only the top.
    The main important thing to respect when building a tank is it's "shear strength". You have to think about how the pressure will be pushing on each pane of glass. I assume you would know the definition of "shear" and silicone is very strong when you try to pull to things apart that have been siliconed. So..., having said this, and to show that it makes perfect sense, my side panels sit on the side of my bottom glass. This way the pressure pushing outwards cannot pull it apart. However, if the side pane was sitting on top of the bottom glass, then the pressure would shear the side pane off while pushing outwards. Does this make sense to you? Also, the thinner the bead, the stronger it is for shear strength. Lots of people would tend to put a thicker bead thinking that more is better, but as we know this is not always the case.

does your bottom sit right on the stand or is it raised a bit?
    from what I'm thinking is that your glass is siliconed to the sides of the bottom and the bottom is completely flush with the side edges. Thats why I can't figure out why the GARF site strongly suggests you raise the bottom panel 1/4'' They swear by this as I had LEROY from GARF e-mail me. I guess I'll know more when IA [if I go this route] sends me my glass.

My bottom sits flat on the stand, and yes the sides are siliconed to the edge sides of the bottom pane. IMO, GARF is only good for computer wallpapers which I admittedly always use. Why don't you ask the reasoning of this and maybe ask IA too what they do and why/why not for both ways? I too would like to know the exact reason for this mainly because it is the BOTTM pane that sees the MOST pressure and is also why on lots of brands of tanks, the bottom pane is the one that is tempered. Maybe it's too cancel out the extra pressure on a raised bottom piece of glass..., who knows at this point??!!! :ummm: