Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cured homemade rock

Hmmm I wonder, If I cured home made rock for the required 6ish weeks, and took it out of the water and had it sitting for a few months would the ph remain the same.
    I'm thinking it would be ok, but just curious.

Tic
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Cool

you have to [should] cure it twice as long as that! and then cure it again in salt water.

I've cured diy rocks ~100lbs with weekly fresh water
    change for 4 months and ph was still off the chart after
    all that time. So i gave up and just added a small piece
    at a time to my estalished tank.

well truth be know it'll be in the river with fresh water changed about every ummm I duno...second!! and it'll likely be there longer than that, but I was just thinking , If it were cured being 6 weeks or 6 months whatever and you took it out of the water, would the ph remain stable as it was when cured?

I also think people that had it cure in about 6 weeks clown fish were changing the water daily. I think that's what I read anyways.
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

once cured it stays cured. its the cement curing and harding that causes ph jump. its also very advizable to recure in salt water before adding to your tank. salt reacts with cement. I have over 200lbs of DIY in my tank

that's what I was looking for =)
    thanks!

I've made my own rock and frag plugs and everything was ready within 3 weeks. Once the rock was ready. (dried for 2 days) I put the rocks in a bucket and filled it with white vinegar, left it there for 24hrs. After, I cured the plugs in the back of the holding tank of the toilet and the big rocks were in a bucket with fresh water changed everyday. After 3 weeks the ph was still a little high but not enough to cause a problem in the tank.

From what I can tell, the overall size of a piece and the amount of porosity (holes) affects the cure time. The really big pieces that are nearly solid, might take almost a year to stabilize, but, a 1/2" thick piece 2" in diameter will cure much more quickly. Plus, the small pieces, if not completely cured are less likelly to crash your tank.

Having constant (river) or near constant (toilet bowl) water changes also improves the rate of cure.

The vinegar trick, I believe, only cures the surface, and is a temporary fix.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Does anyone have any good tutorials on diy rock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast