Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ac500 Dsb?

Question Ac500 Dsb?

Well we've turned a AC500 into a fuge so I was wondering what people thought of turning one into a DSB? I've read a thread somewhere on a DSB in a pail and thought that it wouldn't be that hard to make a HOB DSB. That's when I thought of the AC500, we've already modded the hell out of it so why not. Has else thought of this or is anyone running this?

I have a undrilled 33g with a AC500 fuge and a Remora Pro skimmer but would also like a DSB that I could remove without a fight when it's time to replace it. AC500 DSB worth it for my tank or even at all?

ok thats a lot of foreign acronums... i got aquaclear... what are the others?

Hey Crypto.

It sounds like a neat little DIY.

I'm not sure what biological function it would serve, other then to provide a fractionally small area for denitrifying bacteria but it couldn't hurt.

My only concern would be that the flow through would be too strong and disturb the sand but I don't have a lot of experience with the AC500s.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Oh sry here maybe this might help;

AC500 = Aqua Clear 500 (now AC110)
    DSB = Deep Sand Bed (sump)
    Fuge = refugium (for macroalgae)
    HOB = Hang On Back (sometimes called HOT, Hang On Tank)
    sry = sorry

My worry was if it would really do anything on my tank. I only have a ssb (shallow sand bed) in my dt (display tank) so I don't get the benfit that a dsb would give. If not on my tank it may be good for a nano.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyfin
    My only concern would be that the flow through would be too strong and disturb the sand but I don't have a lot of experience with the AC500s.
    You can mod the impeller by shaving it down so it can't suck up as much water and if you take the black ring off so you can slide the intake tube you can restrict the flow even more. I trimmed my impeller down on my fuge and I've got about 10x turnover in the AC (I left the ring on).

thanks for the clarification... us noobs aren't firmiliar with ur reef acros...

anyway, its really easy to make a DSB with just som PVC tubes... i'm guess DSB is the same deal as a fluidize sandbed? or are u using the DSB for anaerobic purposes?

cause if so u'll have to turn the filter way down for it to have any effect.. other wise its pointless... also have to worry about the bed compacting, i dunno whats ur strategy on that.

generally speaking, because of the way AC's are designed, i wouldn't put too much faith in using it for DSB, beside, in a 500, ur lucky to get 4-6 inches right?

us noobs aren't firmiliar with ur reef acros...
    Ummm acros are what we call the coral acropora, but I got what you were talking about :P

A DSB isn't like a fluidized sandbed as we use it for anaerobic denitrification. An UDSB (ubside down sand bed) on the other hand is alot like a fluidized sandbed.

You can turn the AC down to below 10x ( I have 10x on my AC fuge) and there shouldn't be any sandstorms. The AC500 will give you a 6" deep DSB (with 1"ish of water over the top of the sand) but it would be only 9 1/2" long and 3 1/2" wide.

As for compacting, I have a very live ssb in my dt that I can use to seed the hob sump. Besides I could use the space to dump some hair worms off

oh i didn't realized the 500 was so big...

i knwo acros are acroporas.. i'm just being a smartass :biglaugh2

i say go for it.. and let us knwo how it goes. i for one don't think it'll be worth the effort cause ur tanks is only 33g, water changes can easily be done...

then again in a big tank, a DSB in a ac500 won't help too much i reckon..

but yes.. go for it! post pics on the mod so we can learn from it...

i would just make it into a fuge, but thats me

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    oh i didn't realized the 500 was so big...

i knwo acros are acroporas.. i'm just being a smartass
    So was I :biggrinbo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast