Angry Where to buy glass in Ottawa area?

Hi folks!
    Well, as luck can go, Murphy's law strikes again. :grr: In the last week, I drilled two tanks, a 10 and a 20 gallons, with 2 holes each, to be used as my sumps. Well, last night, after drilling my last hole and cleaning the tank, I installed the 2 bulkheads. While sitting there contemplating my "work of art", what do I hear....? Crrrr.... Crack......!!! :grr: :banghead: :madder: :wtf: One of the pane on the 20 gal. cracked on me.... About 3 inches from the edge of the hole. I was done, I mean, all I had left to do was to hook up the plumbing and start filling the tank. Sheesh... Talk about a downer... </Off Soap Box>

Thanks for listening to my rant... :biglaugh2 Anyhoo.... My question is where could I buy, I guess it's 3/16" glass in the Ottawa area? What kind of prices am I looking at? Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks! :thanx:

:hammerhea
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

well, your not gonna like what I tell ya. its costly!! and IMO not worth it because you have to take the entire tank apart in order to get a proper bond and seal. its a pain because you have to remove every bit of silicone and even the film left behind, clean it with acetone or vinegar and redo. I'd just buy a new one.

Its not that bad ,a pieces of 3/16 ,12x16 its about 20$ There s M&T in the west end,Civic glass in the east(I use to work there for about 8 year,say its Charles that send you :wink3: )and there s Preston and lief on preston street,and there s many more.
    Like Johnny said ,you got to clean the old silicone and make sure there s none left.Its almost cheaper to buy a new one.
    If you need any advice Pm me
    140g tank,over flow box (external)
    deltec ap 600
    3 koralia 4
    2 mh 175,10000k xm
    2 actinic vho
    heater 400w titanium
    70 pounds on live rock,fidj
    75 g sump
    mag 12 connecte on wavy sea as water return
    Wavy sea that i won on AC:b16:

I just saw that your from Rockland, there must be a glass shop there,or go to Orlean glass in Orlean
    140g tank,over flow box (external)
    deltec ap 600
    3 koralia 4
    2 mh 175,10000k xm
    2 actinic vho
    heater 400w titanium
    70 pounds on live rock,fidj
    75 g sump
    mag 12 connecte on wavy sea as water return
    Wavy sea that i won on AC:b16:

Thanks for the input guys! When I got home from work yesterday, the other pane, where the other bulkhead is located, was also cracked from the edge of the hole. :eek4: I guess I tighten them too much. :banghead: Lesson learned... :crap: I was thinking of replacing one pane, but two is too much. Will cost almost as much as the new tank itself was. I will just get me some acrylic and build a new sump tank. No risk of cracking it if the bulkheads are too tight.

Cheers!
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

All I can say is it's a GOOD thing it cracked BEFORE you filled it and put it into service. On another did you use a dremel to do this hole?? If so this is a risk when using a dremel to drill holes in glass. When the hole is not circular and even and smooth like they are when drilled with a diamond bit they are somewhat weaker. The "perfectly" circular hole is the strongest because all the stress at the hole is evenly distributed around the hole to the surround glass. Uneven edges do not do this job as well.
    Rob

OSD, indeed I used a dremel with diamond dust (?). You must be right too. Tho, on the 10 gallon nothing has happened. Drilled the holes, mounted the bulkhead and all is well. But as you say, uneven holes must be the cause, and yes, I think I am still lucky that it occured before going into service. I would be in deep doo-doo with Da Boss lady. :biglaugh2 I will have to invest in diamond hole cutter if I ever decide to do this again. Wasting a brand new tank is not very pleasant.

Cheers!
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Unless you're drilling a crap load of holes I'd talk to OSD about having them drilled. You're likely to pay less for Rob's service than buying your own.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Well, I went the cheap route. Last night, I purchased a Rubbermaid bucket that will fit the bill perfectly, which made the wife a little happier after finding out about the wasted tank. About $8.50. Will see how it goes.
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!