Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Removing odour from plastic drums

I have 2 40g plastic drums and they're destined to be used for the auto-top system and for making salt water. (1 drum for each purpose).
    They used to be used for food, not sure what though. After two months, the drums still have an odour. I've tried bleech, vinegar and baking soda.

Any thoughts on how to remove the odour ? The drums are outside and have been for 2 months. The odour is less than what it was when I got them in early September, but still there nonetheless.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

You might try soaking them with the discarded water from your tank.

I'm thinking the odour is coming from bacteria that's eating something the plastic absorbed. If you're loading it with SW containing more bacteria it might exhaust the food source faster & elmininate the odour.

Or make it worse...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

don't worry about it. if these were food grade containers its no issue

I'm with johnny on this one. If they are food storage grade plastic and are clean they are good to go.
    Rob

Just to add a bit of concern for all concerned (no pun intended). I recently switched to glass carboys (from my wine making days) for storing my salt water.

Before that I had used one of the five gallon blue tinted plastic drinking water jugs that you get drinking water in from the local supermarket. I changed because the last time that I emptied the SW out of the plastic jug I looked down at the bottom and all of the blue die was missing from the plastic (had had about nine months of use for mixing and storing SW).

Not sure what effect that might have had on my corals but it was reason enough for me to make a switch to glass carboys and run carbon for awhile.

Ron

ahh thats why you were selling those high priced blue corals! :biglaugh2

Johnny:

You wouldn't believe the number of callls and PMs I have received about the "green things". Fluorescent neon green is in. Brown is out. Your Monti cap frags are growing even faster. Must be all the extra intensity light from the camera flashes the past few days :biggrinbo

BTW I assume that the chaeto and caulerpa made it okay from Kanata to your place. How did our experiment with the Halimeda work? Did they stay attached to the rock and start to grow when they got to your tank or is it too soon to tell?

Ron

thats funny. Ive used the same blue 5 gallon jugs for around 2 years and havent noticed any visible wear. Then again, I have mine only for storage of RO/DI water before the salt is mixed in.

PS. Ron, that Xenia frag i got from you before winter is double its original size, and split from 2 stalks into 4. Its looking mightly lovely. My mom seems to praise it as the most interesting coral in the tank.

As for the jugs, I think filling them with disguarded water from your tank is a good idea. Add a powerhead in there too. Before you do this, wash it down with vinegar and water. That might help. I understand your paranoia about them; Ive pondered the same thing. In my case I used vingear to wash it down and that solved the problem.

happy reefin'
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

can i use a big jug that used to contain orange juice. this will only be for water for my top ups not my water changes. so no salt involved.

I would not worry about the blue color coming out of the plastic. It MUST be safe to receive the food quality container designation. I also have seen salt do some odd things. For example.. I used coffee cups in my OT once and the "USED" to have blue lettering on them. where it went I do not know but it's gone. Fish are fine ...
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast