Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to move a 240g tank into my house?

I just picked up my new 240g on the weekend, and I am looking for some advice on moving it into the house. Any tips or suggestions?
    Are there any moving services, etc., that anyone has used previously to assist in moving larger tanks? I have had some very bad experiences with moving companies previously, so I am more inclined to just a hire a few guys to give me hand carrying it into the house. It is currently sitting on a pallet, so my initial plan is to move it onto dollies to roll into the backyard, and then get a moving ramp to roll it up the stairs into the house.
    With the weather getting colder, I am not sure how much longer I want to leave it outside.

Cliff

ive read of people on this board just saying ill give hotdogs and pop to who ever comes and helps me. maybe that would help.

also it might help to add dimensions

no to the moving companys. you just need 3 other guys [4 total] for that tank. thats a big jump in size for you!! I actually thought ya packed it in since we haven't heard from ya for some time. nice tank!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dub
    ive read of people on this board just saying ill give hotdogs and pop to who ever comes and helps me. maybe that would help.
    How about pizza and lots of beer?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dub
    also it might help to add dimensions
    The tank is a 240 long, 8' x 2' x 2', top and bottom euro-bracing, cross braced, etc. I was told that the tank weighs about 450lbs or so, and the pallet I built for it is about another 100lbs.

Myself and someone a lot smaller, moved my 210g down 2 flights of stairs(1 nasty corner). It was real easy when you know if you drop it the wife wont allow you to get another one. If you need some help and its on my day off I'll lend a hand, 2 guys and a spotter is all you'd need even with 8 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    no to the moving companys. you just need 3 other guys [4 total] for that tank. thats a big jump in size for you!! I actually thought ya packed it in since we haven't heard from ya for some time. nice tank!
    Hey Johnny! No, I am still around, just been busy working on other projects.
    I bought a house not far from you in Orleans last year, so I have been working on renovations since then. Now the time has come to start on the in-wall tank, so there really was no point in re-using my existing 90g.

Do most people use the glass suction cups to move their tanks, or just pick it up and go?

Up and go.

Quote Originally Posted by DARK
    Myself and someone a lot smaller, moved my 210g down 2 flights of stairs(1 nasty corner). It was real easy when you know if you drop it the wife wont allow you to get another one. If you need some help and its on my day off I'll lend a hand, 2 guys and a spotter is all you'd need even with 8 feet.
    Wow, that's impressive. Yes, I am in a similar situation. The wife didn't want this one, so if I drop it, I'll be building my current 90g into the wall instead. :crap:

I can probably get some buddies to help, but it would be great if anyone with experience moving one of these could participate as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast