Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Skimmers

DIY Skimmers

DIY HOB Protein Skimmer or In sump Protein skimmers

anyones got any plans i can refer to or had past dealings with these?

I've been using a small box protein skimmer in my sump for years. It is one that Jaime Baquero built for me probablly 20 years ago. It is super basic but it does a pretty good job of pulling the black tar out of my aquarium. I can post pictures and draw up some plans if you like.

Hank.

Yes please.

125ga all glass,35gal sump,3-14k 175w MH,3-40w actinics,90lbs LR,3 inch sand+cruchd coral bed,Fat Boy Saline Solutions skimmer,Mag 9.5,2- Maxi-Jet 900 Power Heads,

Really basic skimmer.

This is a super basic skimmer. It's a 4" x 4" x 12" box of 1/8" plexi. You can grab some scraps at Canus Plastics or Plastics of Ottawa (if you're in Ottawa or at your local plastic supplier if not) for about $5 (maybe less if you dig through the cut offs.) I've built several like this one and they all worked really well. The water is sent into the skimmer through the curved pipe from a small power head of a little pump. The tar comes out the straight pipe and I've just got a piece of 1/2" clear hose connected to it and which runs into the big juice bottle. I just dumped about 2" of nasty stuff out of it and cleaned up the skimmer. It's been running for about an hour and you can already see the foam headed for the top. I use a standard wooden diffuser to generate the bubbles.

Like I said Jaime Bacuero built this one for me about 20 years ago and I've been using it ever since. If anyone wants more information (not that there is much to add) you can PM me.

Very basic. Very cheap. It works well.

Hank.

Missing detail.

I forgot...the side under the collection cup and drain pipe is open. This diagram is correct.

Hank.

Honestly, after building 2 DIY skimmers I recommend you check out Acrylic City. I picked up a kalk reactor from Chad & his work is extremely proffessional & has a very reasonable price.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

hmm i got a plan in mind, i'll post some pics soon as i figure out how... but my plan is pretty solid if i must say so my self... and i will

I actually built a skimmer out of 4" ABS about 6' high. It's a venturi with a bug collection cup on top. I bought all the pieces at Canadian Tire for about $20.

If you're not handy and have lots of money a commercial skimmer is a good bet. If you're handy and want to putter around you can build a skimmer like my box skimmer for about $5. Canus will cut the plastic for you into 4" strips and you can build the whole thing out of them. I can post a list of the lengths if someone wants.

Hank.

Quote Originally Posted by carrhd
    I actually built a skimmer out of 4" ABS about 6' high. It's a venturi with a bug collection cup on top. I bought all the pieces at Canadian Tire for about $20.

Hank.
    Do you have a pic or plans for it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast