Thread: Dead pump.

Dead pump.

So...some time ago my Little Giant magdrive pump bit the biscuit. The stupid thing failed after only 20 years of continuous service. I wondered at the time if it was still under warranty (I had after all oiled it at least twice during those 20 years) then started looking for a new pump.

I figured (like any good DIYer would) if I couldn't just buy a new motor (since the mag drive pump was in perfectly good condition.) I called around and got a variety of answers which resulted in a quote of just over $500 to replace the entire pump.

At the time I was driving home by way of Preston Street and around Dow's Lake. Every day I drove past this orange industrial type building which housed the "Electric Motor Company". I figured...what the hell? So in I went with my dead pump in hand (my system was being run by one of those big Hagen power heads (maybe a 701?)). They guy took one look at it and said "grab a 951 off the shelf there." We took a look and sure enough it looked like it might work. The shaft was too long and it didn't have any mounting brackets but that was easily fixed. The nice thing is the 951 is an industrial continuous service rated motor with sealed bearings. I wouldn't have to try to remember to oil it every 10 years (or more often like I should have done the other one.)

My buddy Graham took the motor and made a couple of simple mounting brackets, shortened the shaft, bolted on the pump, and we were back in business.

Total cost...$95.

Here's a picture. Yes, I know it's a mess under my aquarium. I'm building a house (a straw bale house) and the aquarium will eventually be replaced. I managed to talk my wife into letting me build a wet room into the plans and how I've got a 6' x 6' wet room with water, a drain, and a dedicated 20A GFCI breaker off the front hall and facing into the great room. The plans call for a 270 gal tank visible from 3 sides and topped with a Juliette balcony off our daughter's bedroom when everything is finished.

Hank.

20 years! thats a pretty good run. you wouldn't have just wanted a new one for $200?? what about seals in the old pump? good DIY'ing though!

neat i wish i had the engineering skills and tools to do that... i would say 20 years is pretty good bang for the buck all things considered...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    20 years! thats a pretty good run. you wouldn't have just wanted a new one for $200?? what about seals in the old pump? good DIY'ing though!
    Oh sure...but I figured I had the pump itself and just needed a motor.

This isn't something that you can actually DIY. You have to go out and buy a pump to start up your aquarium. I recomment actually spending some money on a good, solid pump. It's the heart of your system.

Once I get moved into the new tank I'll buy a big magdrive (maybe one of those new yellow ones) and use this little giant to run that big honking skimmer I built.

Hank.

that sweet luck
    i'd have just bitten the bullett ad got a new one
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500