Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help - Acrylic Experts Wanted

I have a 48 x 24 x 24 acrylic tank that was used to hold reptiles. It is quite scratched up so I was thinking about using it as a sump. There is a large crack in the top corner and 2 - 1/4 inch drill holes in one end. Is there any way of fixing the crack? I know the sump will not be filled to the top but I would like it fixed for peace of mind. I am assuming I can put a small piece of acrylic over the drill holes to fix them.

Any help is appreciated.

Adam

Use Methylene Chloride

If you are going to fix any kind of crack in acrylic or steel (the only reason I say steel is because i'm a welder) is to "V" out the crack. Meaning scrap along both sides of the crack so you eventually have a "V" shape into the base acrylic. Then fill up the "V"ed out crack with weld-on. Depending on how well you want it to look the deeper you would make the "V". For example if you want it like it crack like it was never there you would "V" it out the whole way and then fill it back in with weld-on. Then a little sanding and some heat and some buffing and it will be brand new. But seeing that the tank is an older one with scratches in it already I wouldn't worry about how well it looks. Not to mention it's not really on the botton of the tank so there won't be any water pressure on it.

As for the two holes. put a piece of smooth steel on one side of the two holes and then turn the tank over and fill the two holes up with weld-on. Probably an idea to scrape the walls of the holes a little just to clean up the bonding surface. Also it would be a good idea to use a little thicker Weld-on for this application. I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaqua
    Use Methylene Chloride
    I agree. Just get a piece larger the the crack or holes and apply it to the inside of the tank (water) side and then use the glue to attach and it should be good as new. If you have any concerns about the size of the crack then you could put a second piece on the outside as well.

I don't think you mentioned how thick the arcylic was. A lot of reptile tanks are a lot thinner than aquaruium tanks because they don't have to hold water. I have also heard some things about reptile chemicals not being good for a reef tank, but I'm not sure if those are urban myths are true. My first concern would be that it's safe to hold water though.

It is 1/2" thick and has about 4" of bracing around the top of the tank. I was thinking of doing the repair and then filling it outside just in case.

Thanks again for the comments.

Repair done and the tank is holding water, NO LEAKS!!! :smile4:

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaqua
    Use Methylene Chloride
    Can you explain this. Isn't this the main ingredient in paint stripper? just curious.

I'm no chemical expert, correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like it melts the acrylic and as it evaporates they bond together.

Here is the MSDS for Methylene Chloride. Pretty nasty stuff.

http://www.denison.edu/sec-safe/safe.../methylen.html

I hope this helps!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast