Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Be cheaper to buy two 1/4 inch and glue them together to make the 1/2 inch.
    Since it's in the sump you don't need it perfectly clear.

But I dunno if my advice is sound, I'm new. I could be just talking crazy talk I don't even have a tank up and running yet!
    :biglaugh2

Cheers

liv
    ya..I had thought about gluing 2 sheets of 1/4. but whats the best way to do this with the solvent fast enough.. I have some left overs here.. i'll try my luck...
    thx for all the info guys.... i'll continue my search and try a few things

Acrylic

I go through quite a bit of Acrylic with Acrylic City
    No it isn't cheap! Especially when you start getting into 1/2" thickness and above!

I thought I chime in on this topic..
    If you design the sump carefully you can make a very strong well supported structure using 1/4" stock. I wouldn't recommend trying to laminate two sheet of 1/4" together..I think that's only going to cause you trouble.. You'll no doubt end up with water and salt creep in between both layers and I can only see nightmares coming out of that.
    Don't forget that the baffles you add across the sump will greatly add to your structural rigidity and if absolutly needed you can make up a eurobrace style top and use the material that you cut out of the center to make your baffles, dividers, skimmer stand etc...
    What I normally do when the design permits is to make the bottom and 2 sides plus an extra lip on each side on the top out of one piece and bend it to fit the design. That way your only welded joins are the two sides, which will usually have baffles spanning across the sump from one side to the next anyway. This makes for a very strong tank.

Long story short, with a well thought-out design you can get away with a lighter material.

Good luck with your project!
    Cheers,
    Chad

liv
    thanks for the info.
    so, i got plenty of 1/4 Acrylic, Would it be strong enough to hold that much water ? I'd fill it up to 10-12"
    can I sit it on ciment.. or a little foam like the stuff used for the floating floors.

10-12" is your limiting factor here. That really isn't that much.

Eurobraced and cross braced with baffles and dividers, you should be fine. If you happen to have a long span with no baffles or dividers, you can add some reinforcements along the way.

Beware of the HD stuff, I'm pretty sure the stuff I got there was extruded and therefore prone to crazing (as my project has). It hasn't started to leak ... yet. It is just the auto-top-off, but, a little frustrating none-the-less.

I certainly wouldn't want 300 gallons slipping out a crazed and cracked joint.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

liv
    sounds good, I'll start with a shell and will add baffles, I plan to do a refugium on the left side and have my skimmer sitting inside the sump on the right side with the water from the tank coming down right where the skimmer is. how many baffles is enough and whats the spacing needed from the bottom and top ?also, should it sit on anything or is ciment enough ? i'll draw something up later and you guys can give me your comments. oh and i'm pretty sure my stuff is not extruded... but any ways to tell ? its sheets of 8feet long by 2 feet wide.

liv
    or should I do a few small containers instead to minimise the risk or a desaster.. so if one breaks its only 1/2 or 1/3 the water lost. johnny, what would you rather have, one big sump or a few small ones ?

Smile

well, I split mine into 2. the first area is were the skimmer is and kinda like a settling area. [I'm gonna put some live rock in there and make it a cryptic zone no lights]
    the second sump is the return and refugium. there connected at the top portion so if one leaks the other won't drain. you can do either or it shouldn'r matter. just build it so it doesn't leak

liv
    I decided to go with one big sump and will seperate the areas with baffles instead.
    I had to change my measurements to give it some room to bow a bit and to make sure i can run wiring behind the sump easily. so the new size will be 92"L* 22"H* 30"D
    the front will be at 16" high for easier access. I am missing the front piece ( 16" high ) and the bottom 31 x 93. ( I put it to 31 x 94 so I can seal it real good from both sides). I was thinking of putting egg crate on the bottom in case I drop a rock.
    see what i've done soo far:

liv
    ooh.. and sorry for the mess.. to minimise the horror, i blurred the background

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast