Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Stand

Metal Stand

I'm thinking of building a metal stand to stach 2 tanks, i wiuld use 1.5" 1/8" thick angle the overall size is 24x60 with each tank weighing in at 600lbs, anyone got any feedback on doing this?
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

I baught one for $80
    it holds my 65 reef tank
    there is a spot for it to hold another tank i will put one there later on.
    i donno if it would be much cheaper
    take at look at the material they use at the LFS to see what width they are and load bearing
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I find stands easier to build with square tubing. I will be doing the same here at the shop for a 40g sump and a 30g up stream fuge so 24wide x 48long x 60high. I will be using squre tubing 1"x1"x1/8. As far as strengh, your angles are good to go.

Just one or two things to add. I know when I welded my tank stand together I wish I had added extra room on the sides of the tank for storage. IE: I made my stand 48" long. I wish I had made it something like 58" or 60" for alot more storage in there. Also if you can add more height between the tanks. When you think there's enough room between the tanks add another couple of inches!! I'll guarantee you'll thank me later on.

Just a few points. Oh and make sure it's welded together good. V out edges... stuff like that.

I hope this helps
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Yep gonna V out the edges and mig weld it, whats the best way to clamp the stand together for welding?

Thanks

There are little clamps that you could buy. If your only going to be welding one or two times I wouldn't recomend getting these. They are a maganetic clamp shaped in a perfect 90 degree angle. One pratical and less expensive thing to do is to "Tack" everything before you fully weld it all together. By tacking I mean just put a quick zap at all joint first. Then make sure that it's all square. When your fully happy with it's squareness start welding it solid. One more hint is not to weldeach corner all at once. Kind of hard to explain but weld the top of one corner then switch and weld the bottom on the opposite side. This keeps it from sfifting too much.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Yep thats what i was gonna do just tank then finals, my only dilemma is i'm using 1.5" angle, for the top tank it's fine a 24x60 base, but i don't want to build the bottom tank in <g> i was gonna put the supporting legs on the outside edge of each corner but then i would loose @1 1/2" on each side... anyone have any ideas? would it be strong enough if i welded 2 legs to the sides or fave of the shelves?

I have no idea what your talking about. LOLOL Sorry. If you could explain it a little better i'm sure I can find you an answer. Metal is my speciality.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Not to hijack, but is there anywhere in the Ottawa area which makes metal stands like this?
    Nick

Wish I was closer I could make ya one.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast