Thread: Sump Layout

Sump Layout

i'm looking at changing my sump layout...does this look any good?
    125ga all glass,35gal sump,3-14k 175w MH,3-40w actinics,90lbs LR,3 inch sand+cruchd coral bed,Fat Boy Saline Solutions skimmer,Mag 9.5,2- Maxi-Jet 900 Power Heads,

Where does the overflow from the display tank enter?
    It also might be easier to read if you rotated the picture....
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

op's...the water will enter where the 2 red lines are....
    and here's a better view...lol :biglaugh2
    125ga all glass,35gal sump,3-14k 175w MH,3-40w actinics,90lbs LR,3 inch sand+cruchd coral bed,Fat Boy Saline Solutions skimmer,Mag 9.5,2- Maxi-Jet 900 Power Heads,

Hi.

A few more questions:
    1. Why two water lines entering? Does the tank have 2 overflows?
    2. Bio-balls and sponge....you will need to keep these clean. In a saltwater reef tank, these will house bateria (and other organisms) you don't want and cause a nigrate spike (or is that nigrate??). Others here will definitely have an opinion.
    3. I'm assuming that the refugium flows over into the bio-ball chamber and then the flow goes under the chamber and up thru the sponge?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

What about buffles?

Quote Originally Posted by pwall
    Hi.

A few more questions:
    1. Why two water lines entering? Does the tank have 2 overflows?
    2. Bio-balls and sponge....you will need to keep these clean. In a saltwater reef tank, these will house bateria (and other organisms) you don't want and cause a nigrate spike (or is that nigrate??). Others here will definitely have an opinion.
    3. I'm assuming that the refugium flows over into the bio-ball chamber and then the flow goes under the chamber and up thru the sponge?
    yes the tank has 2 overflows and you are correct with question #3

1) You normally want baffles between the skimmer and the return pump to avoid returning micro-bubbles to the tank.

2) Also, why have the refugium before the skimmer? I'd put the skimmer and 'fuge at opposite ends of the sump and have the return in the middle.

3) Like pwall said, why bioballs? They aren't needed.
    Nick

the sump is drilled at one end....bio balls and sponge have been in there for 4 +years and i head that alot of the benifical bacteria lives in them..... and i have been told and i shouldn't remove them all at once. i just wanted to add a refugium i have heard it's better for algae control.the skimmer output emptys onto the sponge .So i guess my plan is not a good one?

Hi Mike,
    I tend to agree with the design Niche said...
    If you have 2 overflows I think I would consider having them both flow into your skimmer side. Keep all the bubbles in one chamber plus all the water coming from your tank has a chance to go through the skimmer before being returned back to the tank. Then have some baffles that flow into your pump/return section to remove bubbles. On the other side of your pump, you could have your refugium that flows back into your pump section. You could feed this by putting a eT in your pump return lin and divert some of the pumps flow back into the refugium and use a valve to control the flow rate.
    If you really want you could have one one the overflows go into the refugium side but then you need some baffles there as well to stop bubbles from getting back in to your tank..

Cheers,
    Chad

I didn't realize the bioballs were already in the system. Certainly, they would need to be removed slowly. BTW, is this a reef or a FOWLR?

How does the water flow work in the sump? I had assumed that the water flowed down through the bioballs, up through the sponge and then entered the skimmer which returned its outflow to the same section where the water flowed into the return pump. But, I wonder if we are missing some details. Under the description I have given, placing the skimmer outflow onto the sponge wouldn't get it filtered by the sponge since the water would be flowing up the sponge from the drain/bioball section. Also, I am now not sure how the water leaves the 'fuge section. Perhaps you could clarify the flow patterns?

If you just want to add a 'fuge, you could do that by having the section at the left side fed by a separate pump from the return chamber while having both of the tank drains flow into the middle chamber.
    Nick