Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Service pump with filter.

Well I been thinking of building a service pump setup. For cleaning the tank, sump, overflow etc. I have a big 1hp pump that is not being used because of it's power consumption. I also have a jacuzzi canister filter that was on my FOWLR setup that's not being used.

I was going to prepare a base out of plywood to fix the canister and pump to.

My main question is that i have seen these setup up before at Aquamarin and at Le Corail. But the plumbing was kind of made in a square pattern. Which made no sense to me. Does anyone know what i'm talking about.

Otherwise i will just have an intake in the water to the pumps intake, the pump outlet to the in of the canister, then the out of the canister to the tank. I was thinking mostly flex tubing so that i can direct the flow to different areas to blow detrius out in to the open.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Montreal
    I was going to prepare a base out of plywood to fix the canister and pump to.

My main question is that i have seen these setup up before at Aquamarin and at Le Corail. But the plumbing was kind of made in a square pattern. Which made no sense to me. Does anyone know what i'm talking about.

Otherwise i will just have an intake in the water to the pumps intake, the pump outlet to the in of the canister, then the out of the canister to the tank. I was thinking mostly flex tubing so that i can direct the flow to different areas to blow detrius out in to the open.
    So far not even a clue what are you talking about(square pattern). By any chance you can give us some simple drawing/sketch since I am interested in same topic but on much smaller scale.
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

I can't really remember the actual design just that part of the return got recycled back into the intake of the pump. It was really strange.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Montreal
    I can't really remember the actual design just that part of the return got recycled back into the intake of the pump. It was really strange.
    I'm guessing that they were using a Pool pump for this? Most pool pumps have filter baskets as part of their intakes. It makes sense that they were recycling part of the return back to the intake with the goal of "double-filtering" the water.

I'm not sure as to the actual design of such a system however. Hopefully someone who's actually seen this could chime in...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Well i never did find that design. So i just kept it simple. Here is a picture. This was used as i did a flat worm treatment.

It was a real storm.

Well I just met someone with the service pump that i had mentioned. He does even know why the design is they way it is. I had my phone camera, So here is a picture. They only logical reason for this setup is that it make it easy to care. No matter how you look at it the water sucked in does not 100% pass through the filter. The Filter is in the back ( didn't get a picture of it).
    He say's that it really works well..

Does anyone know if this design is superior to a pump connected straight through a canister and if so why ? :confused-

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hmm... It looks like is recirculates back to the input side of the pump...
    I'm guessing it probably makes the pump more efficient?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Help me understand what I am seeing here.

The intake to the pump ... is it just the flex hose? Or is it teed with another feed?

Similarly the output, right above the pump, is that a tee?

One possiblility is that they built it with the square loop all the way around it as a carry handle, but, it might not be open inside in all directions. So it could force all the water through the filter. But, it would mean that the 4-way at the top was really just passing water bottom up to the valve and out.

If all the pipes visible are open in all directions, I see no reason even half of the water would pass through the filter. The easiest route, by far, is simply out the top.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Cres The output above the pump is not a T, What you see in the back of this is the pipe that goes to the in of the canister.

The input of the pump is just the flex hose.
    I would not know if the pipes are closed off, How would you do that?

I think that the whole thing just make it easier to carry. But for sure the out of the canister is in a straight line with the line out. Also maybe because all the lines are 1.5" and the out of the pump is 3/4". That the recirculates internally befor it leaves it comes out cleaner? Not sure

It wouldn't be hard to plug a pipe. You could simply put a flat disk at the end of the pipe going into a fitting.

As I said, if some of the pipes aren't blocked, I could see most if not all of the water simply leaving without being filtered.

Unfortunately, the only way to tell would be to take it apart.

Or, you could run some really cold or warm water through and feel the pipes to see which ones are carrying water. But, since this doesn't belong to you, I don't know how much experimentation you could get away with.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast