Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need help building a stand !!!

Dear Bros,

i have a 150 gallon tanks, the dimension is 72L x 18W x 24H....

Anyone can have a details method diagrams to show me to build a stand for my tank.

I am sorry for my problem, I really need help. Thankyou very much

Check out the Do It Yourself section on OVAS.

Part 1: http://ovas.ca/article.php?sid=110

Part 2: http://ovas.ca/article.php?sid=111

Part 3: I believe it is coming soon...

I know with mine I wish I had made mine a little wider. I only have a 75. Thinking about it now I wish had put a shelf along one side so i had more room underneth (spelling). My sump covers almost every inch of my stand. I even had to take off most of the wood in the front to get the sump in there. (Of course the big sump was an after thought. But I couldn't pass up on the deal) It didn't really matter about taking of the wood because the wood is only there for looks. It's a angle iron stand.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I use the KISS principle when building my tank stands. Those links show a nice sturdy tank stand, but WAY overkill in my opinion. The weight of the stand will be as much as the tank!!LOL. Think of building one like you would an enterior wall of a house, with a top plate, bottom plate with studs @ 16" centers. Sheath it in with 1/4 " plywood. You can dress it up with trim & doors, shelves whatever. All my tanks are sitting on these types of stands ( 1-260 gal., 2 - 130 gal., 1- 108 gal., 1- 96gal. etc..) all of them very sturdy.

I like the thought of way overkill. I couldn't imagine building something that a tank (Army vehicle not fish home) couldn't drive over and still be ok. LOL
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    As Gump mentioned you want your stand to be built like an interior wall in a house. But I still went ahead and overbuilt my stand for my 60 gallon cube using 2x3 premium pine.

You can see the general construction here:

You always want the top frame of the stand to "sit" on the posts. You want the weight to be carried on the legs and posts, not on the screws. Then also add a leg behind spanning the whole height. Look at the corners in these pics:

1/2" plywood floor for the tank to sit on, with a cut-out for the overflow:

Stand was "skinned" with 1/4" veneered plywood, and trimmed with mitered corners:

I made the front completely removable using some cabinet hardware for easy access:

And stained it all with a Minwax Polyshades combination stain/sealant.

Hope that helps.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Nice cube stand Tang_Man. I use screws in all mine as well. I love your idea of the removable front.. way easier than building doors.

Nice work Tang Man, looks great and very sturdy. I am currently building a stand for a 90g in wall but I am using PT lumber because it dosent need to be pretty. Do you see any problem with PT?, my thought was it may be better since it is an enclosed room with moisture. Arofan, I will post pics of mine for you in the next two days when it is built. Do you want to build a stand that is for show or more functional?
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Quote Originally Posted by markkrysztofiak
    Nice work Tang Man, looks great and very sturdy. I am currently building a stand for a 90g in wall but I am using PT lumber because it dosent need to be pretty. Do you see any problem with PT?, my thought was it may be better since it is an enclosed room with moisture. Arofan, I will post pics of mine for you in the next two days when it is built. Do you want to build a stand that is for show or more functional?

thanks markkrysztofiak.. i will look forward to the pictures. And i think i like the stand to be functional

Here is the 90 gal stand I have just made. I am still adding a shelf on the bottom to house my 30 gal sump. Its no where nere the craftsmanship as TangMan but its very strong, sturdy and cheap (about $45). Let me know if I can help at all arofan.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast