Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Possible DIY Controller

Just a thought, I ran across these guys:

http://www.gumstix.com/

This is a complete linux system on a board the size of a stick of gum & about as thick as 3 pieces of gum.

You can get blue tooth, usb, and I think CAT5 add on boards for it.

And it runs a modded linux 2.6 kernel.

So setting up a web server to it is dirt simple, the missing parts IMHO would be:

something like a DC8 to replace the independant timers I already have. (Me programmer, I know just enough about electronics to get myself into real trouble.)

Probes. A 1wire temp probe looks easy enough, but anything else I can't find bugger all on. (I can find lots of probes, I can't find any info on using them on a DIY kit).

And perhaps an LCD for feedback at the tank, detailed information and programming should be done via a web interface & store historical data in mySQL database or some-such.

The down-side is it's not likely to be cheaper than something with comparable features from Neptune, but hey it would have the coolness factor of being able to point & say I made that ...

So am I crazy?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Yes. You are crazy.

But, let us stay on topic, okay?

This would definitely be cool. Get together with Dazz and reuse his web based controller-controller software ... Sweet.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I've got a bunch of PC104 stuff from Tri-M in BC. It includes a 16 channel 16 bit A/D and D/A as well as 12 channel opto-isolated. It also runs Linux 2.6. I've got it loaded up with RedHat 9. I was thinking the same thing. I'm also a programmer and I also know just enough about electronics to get myself into trouble but I've got a buddy who used to do industrial control from the component up who could help with the circuits.

Hank.

I am planning on designing a tank controller from scratch in my spare time. I would like to interface PH and salinity probes etc to it and am trying to find a good deal on them.

To start, I plan on including:

Ethernet
    Temperature, PH and salinity monitoring
    Lighting control
    Data logging

This would be a pretty good start, and wouldn't be too hard for me to complete in a reasonable time period. I don't have a lot of money, so buying one of those controller boards would be out of the question. I could design something much cheaper. I wouldn't be able to run linux on it, but I figure I don't need to.

I am also a programmer (game programmer to be exact), and I have teamed up with a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer and we have come up with an idea for tank monitoring and controlling.

The only things I can say right now because we are in the design and testing phase is that it will be limitlessly expandable (up to just over 65000 modules), wireless (not x10) and very inexpensive.

Once we have done our feasibility study, I'll let you guys know about it since we will want beta testers
    -Dazz

WooHoo! Sign me up!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

<---- beta tester # 2

Beta 3. :biggrinbo
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Yeah, sign me up!

Well heck if you're already into it, I don't have the electrical know how to do that side of the engineering.

So hey I'll even alpha test it if you want (We can do an NDA too if you want)

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast