Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JHG

PVC - glue or teflon tape?

Hi all,

My question is surrounding the use of teflon tape or glue when joining pvc pieces together. I visited a local plumbing franchise, that seems to be one of the main players in the industry, and they informed me that when I'm joining the pvc joints that make up the return overflow that I only need to use teflon tape on the threads. When I asked about using glue or silicone they said that it wasn't necessary.

Any plumbers amongst us have a differing thought?

J
    Marine Aquarium Society of Nova Scotia
    www.masns.ca

All of the threaded PVC fittings that I've used over the years have a washer in them that makes glue and teflon tape redundant. I use glue on the pipe to fitting connections and nothing on the threads. (Of course...I'm using CPVC and not PVC which might make a difference. CPVC ic ream coloured and PVC is normally grey.)

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

The only threads I have on my returns is at the bulkhead and the threaded slip fittings before and after the bulkhead. I used only teflon tape on the treaded joints. I would not use silicone or anything permanent at the bulkhead as I am always looking for ways to improve my plumbing. On a side note I will give you a piece of unsolicited advice. If you glue any slip fittings, use the PVC Primer before you use the PVC Glue. On the joints I did not use the primer I am getting a small amount of salt creep. I am going to have to re-do my plumbing.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Smile

any threaded sections, use teflon tape. pink stuff not white and not teflon paste.

JHG
    Why pink and not white?
    Marine Aquarium Society of Nova Scotia
    www.masns.ca

The pink and also the yellow Teflon tape is thicker and stronger. It simply seals better and does so with fewer warps. the yellow stuff is gas line rated. the Pink is also somewhat more specialized as compared to the standard white "general" purpose stuff but I forget what it is rated for.
    Rob

I've been told by an aquarium installer that there is always some salt that ends up accumulating on the threads (outside). Maybe he was just using the wrong kind of teflon tape... He recommanded the use of silicon to prevent that. It works great and it's totally removable and the fittings are reusable after.

-yvest

tape on the threaded joins and glue on male and female joins without threads. silicone is overkill.. if you have to use silicone to seal a leak in the thread then either the thread matching the two joins are both diffrent thread patterns or the tape is not on properly.

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    Where do most people get their PVC from anyway?

Start at Princess Auto or Home Depot. Then, for what you are still missing, try Ivan here or PVC Plus. That is my search order.

You can do one stop shopping at PVC plus, but, you will pay extra for the convenience.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast