Thread: workhorse 7

workhorse 7

:help: i bought a couple workhorse 7 to hook up my actinics and i was wondering how people wired theres to get the power to it without worrying about shortages and fires. i was told just to cut an extenion cord and wire my + and - to that and it should be fine. it just seems to makeshift and unsafe so if anyone has a better idea and or diagram that would be great

Smile

thats what most do. you could put a PVC junction box in your canopy and run the wires in and out from there using the proper marrets to connect them inside. I did this with my MH. you could even shrink wrap them if you know how. [I don't]

I plan on getting 2 workhorse 5's soon, so I am also interested in any ideas people have.

As johny mentioned you can "shrink wrap" the wires. I did this on my old lighting setup. You can use "shrink tube" for this. You can buy it at home depot. You slip it on to one of the wires before you sauder them together. Then you slip the shink tube over the the sauder point and use a lighter to warm up the shrink tube. After shirnk tubing I taped the area with electrical tape as well.

thanks JR now would it matter what size gauge i would use for the extension cord because the wires on the workhorse are small and im not sure if using a bigger gauge would be ok any suggestions and

It is always okay to use a larger gauge wire, but, consider the amperage required by the ballast and make sure your extension cord is capable of that much or more. I don't know for sure, but, I would be surprised if the WH7 used more than 3 AMPS and you would be hard pressed to get an extension cord with less capacity.

-- electricians please confirm --
    I believe any household AC connections need to be done inside a certified box (like the one Johnny suggested) to meet code requirements.

So, it would be a good idea to do it. Just make sure you use the correct Marrett connector for the sizes of wires involved.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINPRICE
    thanks JR now would it matter what size gauge i would use for the extension cord because the wires on the workhorse are small and im not sure if using a bigger gauge would be ok any suggestions and
    i used a 12 gauge i think or a 14, i don't remember anymore, if you can find solid then get solid, its easier to work with than braided IMO... i had a tough time hooking my up with lack of hardware and braided wires

never fails you guys are awesome thanks alot guys always know where to go with the questions hyeah:

sorry guys i was in my girlfriends account by accident :errr: