Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stand for new tank.

Hello reefers.

I'm worknig on the design for the stand for my new tank. It's going to be a 270g 72" wide by 24" deep by 36" tall. What I'm interested in is what you folks think the top and bottom height should be. At this point my 90g is 32" at the bottom glass and 55" at the water line. I find this very low. I was thinking about going with 39" at the bottom glass and 75" at the water line.

I'm planning to laminate up four 24" x 72" pieces of 3/4" PT plywood to rest on a stand made up of four 6 x 6 PT posts. The posts will support a frame made up of four 2x8 PTs. The tank will rest on a piece of 1/2" extruded styrofoam. There will be a 2x4 PT bottom frame supporting a 3/4" PT plywood shelf.

I've got a purpose built 60" x 64" room behind where the tank will end up that I plumbed with water and a drain and a dedicated 20A GFI protected circuit for equipment so the stand will be completely enclosed from the front and the tank will only be accessible from the back. I've been thinking about putting a steel platform across the bacl of the tank in the wet room to stand on and an iron bar across the back to the top of the tank to lean on while working in the top of the tank.

I've been working on AutoCAD drawings if anyone wants to see them.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

I went with a low stand

I went with a low stand so my focal point would be "the center of the tank" when i am seating on my sofa. I also wanted to make it a little easer to reach the bottom for maintenance jobs.
    The stand is made of ceder 2x4s for bottom rails, 2x6s for top rains and 4x4 posts for corner legs, 2x4s for 2 mid legs that are not shown in the pic.
    My sump is "beside" my tank so head room under the stand was not an issue.
    I'm happy with the end result.
    How the stand was built is at this part of my thread about my setup. Hope the link works.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...7&page=3&pp=20

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by One Salty Dog
    I went with a low stand so my focal point would be "the center of the tank" when i am seating on my sofa. I also wanted to make it a little easer to reach the bottom for maintenance jobs.
    Ahhh...our tank is in the wall of the great room at the bottom of the main stairs and can be seen from the front hall, kitchen, dining room and the great room. It is more of a stand up view that we're going for. I'm much taller than Anita so when I look at the tank close up I have to bend over to see under the top rim of the tank.

The stand is made of ceder 2x4s for bottom rails, 2x6s for top rains and 4x4 posts for corner legs, 2x4s for 2 mid legs that are not shown in the pic.
    Clear cedar is a great choice. I'm going with PT because it saves me some hassle of placing it directly on a concrete floor. Code requires that any non-PT wood in contact with a concrete floor have vapour barrier under it to prevent rot. You could argue that the stand is not actually structural but I don't want to find mt tank lying in the middle of the floor 10 or 15 years down the road so I thought I would go with PT.

My sump is "beside" my tank so head room under the stand was not an issue. I'm happy with the end result. How the stand was built is at this part of my thread about my setup. Hope the link works.
    Cool. Nice work on the stand. I'm thinking about this now (long before I'll be ready to build the 270 gallon glass) because Lily will soon be mobile and I want to close in the area under the tank and the wet room. I thought I would get the stand built and closed in and just slide the 90 gallon tank in on top of it for the time being.

Thanks for the input, Rob.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

DON'T GO WITH PT lumber!!!! .. Keep that stuff away from your tank. Use standard lumber and seal it well with a few coats of Varathine. Make all you cuts and joints and coat it before you build it.
    Rob

DON'T GO WITH PT lumber!!!! .. Keep that stuff away from your tank.
    Really? Even the new stuff? I suppose I don't really need to use PT. I'll have to put a barrier under the feet where it touched the floor but that isn't such a big deal. I'm not sure that I can get 6x6 in non-PT. Probably from one of the local mills. I've got four saw mills within 5 minutes of my house.

Hank.

Why not just use a steel stand?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Holy carp stay away from the Pressure treated!!!

Major Health and Safety issue. The treatment releases a carcinogen-great for outdoors but is wrong for inside.

Somebody made shelves at work with the stuff and the Ministry of Health freaked! We ended up replacing it with pine shelving.

If it is an airbourne hazard I would also guess that it could somehow get into the water-I cannot guarantee it as that is not my field of work.

Bermuda or Virginia Cedar is hard and smells great when it gets wet.
    I have a lot of Patients

Quote Originally Posted by carrhd
    Really? Even the new stuff? I suppose I don't really need to use PT. I'll have to put a barrier under the feet where it touched the floor but that isn't such a big deal. I'm not sure that I can get 6x6 in non-PT. Probably from one of the local mills. I've got four saw mills within 5 minutes of my house.

Hank.
    YES keep away from the PT lumber. I also don't think 6x6 legs are really required here. 4x4 legsshould be more then enough for you stand.
    Rob

I will not comment on the stand construction as my 110 is adequately supported by a 2x4 construction and yours will need much more than that. I do like the hight of my tank. The surface of the stand is 36 inches off the floor and the tank is 24" high. The canopy is another 12" plus decorative moldings. The reason for this height is that it is in my main room in between the Kitchen and Faimily room. It is the same height as the countertops so its visable from every sitting and standing area. Your tank will be even higher so you could go with 32" surface height which is a standard table height. I also have my sump and skimmer under my stand which is another reason for the height.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by mike536
    Why not just use a steel stand?
    Cost. The custom steel stand that I need would cost many times as much as a wooden stand. I'm actually a welder and could do the welding myself but with the Chinese buying up all the steel in the world the price has skyrocketed in the past couple of years. I should be able to put the stand together as planned with wood for under a couple of hundred dollars.

Hank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast