Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Modding the seaclown

So i got the sea clone 100, Yes i know its not the best skimmer but im working on that.

Ive already doen the bio-ball mod and used the smaller pin style bio ball(didnt find the large version) and i did notice that the bubbles are alot finer. It took less then a day for the skimmer to start skiming again vs teh almost a week for the non modded skimmer.

I think i may cut 2 inches off the inner reaction chamber an get a proper air valve as well. Maybe even cut an inch off the tube in the colector cup as well. But im havving issues understanding the airstone mod.

How do you get the air stone in the reaction chamber without causing water leaks or causing a blockage to the flow? Also will hooking the venturi up to an air pump and force feeding the skimmer vs the regular setup provide any benifit?
    21g Euro/Aquaclear 30/Maxi-Jet 900/Seaclone 100/Aquaclear 50 Filter/150w Heater/Odyssea 65w Pc 50/50

If you go airstone, you want to use limewood (or similar) blocks. They provide the smallest bubbles. But, you need to change them about monthly.

Getting them into the bottom chamber is the trick. You are probably best to try make a new bottom panel that is removable (so you can easily replace the bubble block. I haven't seen this mod done, so, I can't offer anything useful there.

The reason you need the air valve on the air line is that the MaxiJet normally can pull too much air. If the needle wheel mod has reduced this, then yes, adding an air pump would help. Otherwise, you will simply be throttling back the flow anyway.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hi, I'm modding mine also, I took about an inch and a half off of the most inner tube and remove the foam from the intake. I plan doing the bioball mod but I don't know where to find some I didnt find any on websites AC, maybe it's only in stores. I guess those are really cheap to get I guess. I want to try each mod by themselves so I could say what worked better than others but I will cut down probably the riser in the collection cup. My air valve is already changed. I thought the airstone mod was: you drill a hole in the collection cup cover in the middle, drop the stone to the bottom and put the cover back on. I don't really plan to do this mod yet anyways.

Keep us posted on what works best and what doesn't, I will do the same.

Cheers

Well the needle air valve and the bio wheel mod (which i used thw wrong wheel for) did help alot. i got more in 3 days then i used to get in a week but its still not right, Im gonna force feed it air and cut down both tubes a bit and see if that helps. I really think that the maxi-jet 1200 isnt enuf flow though. A better venturi would do alot for it as well.
    21g Euro/Aquaclear 30/Maxi-Jet 900/Seaclone 100/Aquaclear 50 Filter/150w Heater/Odyssea 65w Pc 50/50

Well a note to people that wanna cut down the tubes in the seaclone...

The tube in the collection cup is easy to cut but im starting to wonder the point, Making the tube shorter makes it easier for the foam to flow up BUT it doesnt want to flow over the edges into the cup AND it reduces the amount of skimate you can get in your cup before dumping it.

The primary tube in the skimmer is a PAIN to cut, and it will break very easily! I broke mine off and the glue i used to hodl it back on let go as well. Cutting this tube down give the bubbles more time to mix and such before rising up to the cup which is good. But if you cut more then an inch or so you will make it too low and increase the chances of micro bubbles getting into the tank.

I still dont know what forcing air in will do as my air pump is DOA. But after i fix the inner tub and let it run for a week i will post back as to if it is a worthy mod or a waste of time.

sounds to me if u mod it to much u will need a new one lol.

LOL ya my hands are too big to fit in there so its increasingly hard to mod or fix it. After i get that center tube sealed again im done modding it. If it doesnt perform well after that i will get somethign else.

Well the seaclown has been fixed. Its been up and running for less then 12 hours. It has about an inch of skimate in the cup now. It doesnt look very very dark but it is still getting warmed up again. In retrospec cutting either of the tube (collection cup, reaction chamber) didnt do to much but it did help.

Collection Cup: Cutting the inner tube down help the foam get out. The seaclone isnt very strong and this make it easier to clear the foam. However it lowers the amount of crap you can get in the cup before it over flows. A good idea to go with this mod might be to drill a hole in the cup and run it to a seperate container.

Reaction Chamber: Cutting this tub is very very hard. It will result in a broken tube when it snaps off. Also it makes it very hard to tune the skimmer as now ther is less distance for the bubbles to travel to by pass the skimmer. But when you do get it tuned it gives the bubbles more area to go through and mix befoer leaving the skimmer. If cutting this tube i suggest no more then 1 inch MAX!

So now my $50 seaclone acutally does skim, and this is on the HOB setup. Once its in a sump its got far less piping to run throught it will work even better!

Moral of the story? If you can get a seaclone for free or very cheap its worth it to pick up and mod. But DO NOT buy it brand new!!! Soooooooo not worth the money.

The way i cut the most inner tube was with a dremel with the flex shaft attached to it. I took the reaction chamber apart but I couldn't take off the tube I wanted to cut so I used the dremel. I think it works better now but not a whole lot but skimms continually so far. I also took the foam off on the intake to restrict a bit less. I can't wait to try the bioball mod...

the bioball mod worked the best, Well that and the air filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast