Thread: Iwsaki MH

Iwsaki MH

Hey all, I heard the Iwasaki is the best lamps otu there at 6500k, and that it can be run off a mercury vapour ballast

i was wonderinf if this will shorten the life of the bulb at all?

6500K i gather will need additional actinics or moonlights?

IMO 65k are perfect for planted tanks and even though they have the highest PAR its not something(growing algea) I want in my reef tank...

lights

All other things being equal (flow, filtration, coral placement) 6500 bulvs will grow your corals fastest. They are very yellow. You need to supplement quite a bit of actinic to get a nice light color. Most go for 10 or 14 k as they are more pleasing to the eye. But if your goal is to grow your corals fastest, then 6500 is the way to go.
    Jason

Smile

as mentioned, good for growth and mostly brown looking sps. there not that popular anymore as theres nicer lamps out there.that being said,,
    IWASAKI has come out with a 14k lamp that is aperently amazing!!! its highly touted by ICECAP who know there stuff. bad news is,, I haven't seen it in CANADA yet and its only available in the 175w version so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    as mentioned, good for growth and mostly brown looking sps. there not that popular anymore as theres nicer lamps out there.that being said,,
    IWASAKI has come out with a 14k lamp that is aperently amazing!!! its highly touted by ICECAP who know there stuff. bad news is,, I haven't seen it in CANADA yet and its only available in the 175w version so far.

ohh man is that so? what do you mean by mostly brown SPS, they can't grow neon coloured ones? even with supplementation, say T5s or PC?

I wanna see about this 14k lamps thats sounds amazing, do you know if its Mogul or medium base?

Commercial operations will sometimes grow coral under 6500s to get growth and size, then switch to other lighting to colour up the coral. Since the coral will change colour to a) absorb certain light and b) reflect certain light, the lighting has a direct influence on coral colouration.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.