Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building my first tank

Looking for some last minute advice before I get the glass cut. According to GARF.org, my 24"x24"x16" can be built with 1/4" glass. I am thinking of cutting the back glass shorter to act as an overflow and have the overflow box outside the tank. I will be eurobracing the front and both sides. As for the back, I think the extra glass for the overflow box will reinforce that.
    Sounds good :confused-

This link will help calculate the required glass thickness and will provide a safety factor.

But, IMO, the bottom line is: if 1/4" (Eurobraced) is enough, 1/4" with an external overflow box, will also be enough.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I've never built my own tank, but the idea of the entire back wall being lower alarms me...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Sorry, I said that wrong. I plan on having a u shape cut out from the middle top part. Not the whole back glass, just like 3" from both sides and 1"3/4 from the top.

Why does that alarm you Krugar?

Have you seen the way Johnny's tank is built? Imagine the back instead of the end.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Like I said I've never built a tank so what do I know?

But J.R.'s tank has a short side lowered, not a long side, does it not? I guess the box itself could act as bracing, but it would make me nervous.

Perhaps for no good reason... I sweated bullets when my tank got drilled too

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Smile

I'lll jump in here, at 24'' long and 18'' deep you could have the entire back an 1'' shorter. you might want to consider though either leaving an area in the back at regular height and using 1 center brace. because you won't have any bracing along the back at all.
    or, you can move up to 1/2'' 12mm and just eurobrace the front and sides.

might I add that its not cost effective to build a tank of this size unless your getting a GREAT deal on glass. make sure also you get the edges beveled for added silicone strenght and astetics.

I just realized I hadn't pasted the link:
    http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/tec...lass_complete/

^^^^^ That link provides glass thickness and safey factor calculations.

Thanks for the link cres. It was good reading. I got one question from it though. It said to put 0.5 to 1mm of silicone. Does this mean I need to make sure that there is at least that much between two pieces of glass once I am done assembling it? Got anymore good links on building tanks?

I know JR, this is not to save money. Its to have fun and experiment. I don't know if it is even going to hold water, let alone become a fish tank. Thanks for the input guys. The glass will be cut tomorow.

I don't have much else to offer. I haven't built one myself.

I assume that yes, you should allow for the .5-1.0 mm of silicone when sizing your glass panes. If you don't, IMO, .5 mm here or there will hardly be visible and I don't know how precisely glass is actually cut to start with.

I also assume that having less silicone will run the risk of a seam splitting with any torsion on the tank. 1 mm would certainly help absorb some torquing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast