Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Baslett?

Sick Baslett?

I have just returned from a trip to Myrtle Beach for 2 weeks and I am getting my tank back in order. I had someone feed and clean the alage off the glass while I was gone and I had a top off unit going too.

I was not able to have the skimmer running, so it got a but messy in there. Everything survived, but my purple baslett is looking a bit strange. It looks fine on it's left side, but it's eye on the right side is puffed out and milky looking.

Has anyone seen this before? What can I do? I am just doing water tests so I will post them after. Just thought I would get the ball rolling.

Thanks
    Scott

Salinity: 1.019, not sure how since I used a top off, but I am working on getting that back up.

PH: 8.4, bring that down right now

NH3: 0.2 or something, very light colouring to the water

N02: 0.1 or so

NO3: about 5-10 mg/L

Any comments, other things I should be looking at, Phospate and Cal are both ok.

Picture, hope it helps

Quality is not good, but it is the best I could get, he moves very fast.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Sounds and looks like pop-eye.
    It does often go away on its own, however if it gets worse, you will have to take him out and medicate him in a hospital tank with saltwater Maracyn-2.

Here's an article that you can read:
    http://www.flippersandfins.net/pop-eye.htm

Here's what the Maracyn-2 package looks like:
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

pH of 8.4 isn't terrible I'd suggest worrying about the amonia.

If you want to raise your salinity do so slowly. Fish and other aninmals have a harder time with a sudden raise in salinity than a sudden drop. Both can be bad, but raising it is worse.

You're basically acclimating the entire tank to the new salinity levels so if you want to get to 1.025, think about taking a week or more to do it.

Also check your auto top off, it likely pumped too much water into your system, did you end up with any on the floor? Salinity should have returned to normal unless you lost some water some place.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

sick fish

Your basslet is stressed as it is. No need to make him worse by changing the quality of your water so quickly. As stated above your ph is not bad. The amonia should be 0. Do some water changes daily for a week with water that is 1.020 then 1.021 and so on till you have 1.024-5. Marycin2 would do the trick but only in quarentine. But likely a couple of water changes and he'll be back to normal.
    Jason

Thanks guys, is this something that I need to worry about the fish passing on to it's other tank mates?

I just read the article in full, and it answered that question. Thanks again.

Well the baslett died today, I was going to take him to the QT tank and I had bought the Maracyn-Two, but I was too late.

I am working on the water quality issues slowly, got 3 more jugs or RO/DI to work on the changes, and keeping a close eye on all of my other fish.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Ah crap! Sorry to hear that Scott!
    40G Tank | 150 watt Jager Heater | Super Skimmer 3000 | Maxi-Jet x2 1200 | 192W Total Lighting w/Actinic | 20LBS Live Rock | 50LBS Aragonite | 10 various snails | 13 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs | 2 Ocellaris Clownfish | 1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby | 1 FireFish Goby | 1 Flame Angel | 1 Kid | 1 Wife | 1 Cat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast