Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue green chromis looking sick

Hi everyone,

could someone help me whith my fish. I have them since more than 2 weeks.

One of my chromis is breathing rapidly near the surface of the water since 24-48 hours. It was looking good since that time. It have no external sign of disease.

One of my other chromis have a big with spot on the head. I have attached a picture of it... Sory it is better I could take. Except for that big spot, the fish is in perfect health.

What can both of my fish could have???

Steve

If that growth looks like a cotton ball then the fish has Fungus skin infection. The rapid breathing can be related pt many things. Start by testing the water to confirm that it's OK. Post you results.
    Rob

PLease Help ME!!!!!!!

:help: :crap:

It is not my week with my tank... 2 days I kiled by accident an healthy chromis... I have the 2 chromis that seams sick(the ones I was talking in my fisrt post...)

and now today I have found an other one dead... That one was not feeling great since the beginning... he was only eating a bit of brine shrimp and was most of his time hiding. :crap:

I will probably loose soon the one that is breathing at surface... :bigcry:

I can't beleive I spent so much money to have a graveyard in my living room ...

Anyway, I will do some water test tonight(thanx Rob) and will post them...

This is the result I had last monday

PH: 8.0
    DKH: 7.0
    Calcium: 230
    No3: 5
    PO4 : 0

The salinity is good it is like 1.024

I have an auto top off system...

One of my 2 MH bulb has heated the canopy and a bit of liquid (paint, varnish... I don't know exactly) have flow on the bulb and a bit may have fall in the tank... Could It be my problem?? Could I have poisonned my fish?

Thank you every one !!!

Steve

Your pH is low, I'd look for a problem. Are all your fish accounted for? Check for anything that has died & needs to be removed from the tank. How often & how much are you feeding them?

The nitrates aren't terrible, the LD50 on them is actually quite high, but combining the low pH with detectable nitrates suggests there's something rotting in the tank. Are there any detectable nitrites? What about amonia?

Your Alk & Ca are very low, low enough to stress anything requiring them. Is this a fish only tank or do you have coral?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke
    One of my 2 MH bulb has heated the canopy and a bit of liquid (paint, varnish... I don't know exactly) have flow on the bulb and a bit may have fall in the tank... Could It be my problem?? Could I have poisonned my fish?
    Steve
    Just noticed this. If your MH lamps are getting melting your canopy or causing the finish too melt off them you've got a fire hazard. Are you sure the "melted" material came from your canopy and that it wasn't a finishing error? (oops we painted too far.) Is it possible something got spilled on the canopy? If it is indeed melting your canopy, it's time for a new canopy that won't melt.

It could be that something did drip into the tank & that was the start of the problems, but right now IMHO you have a water quaility issue. When was your last partial?

I'd start with 20% and see what happens. You'll also want to catch the infected chromis & get him into a hospital tank for treating.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

My chromis that was gasping for air have died today...

My tank is kind of new, maybe more than 1 month old... So I think it is why I have a bit of nitrate... :confused-

My last water change was 1 weeks ago. I changed around 15%. I have just started to had buffer and calcium a few days ago, maybe I did had to much at a time and have created a big and sudden change in the PH :confused-

For the canopy it is in pine wood. I have painted it inside with oil base paint. I would think it is the paint that have melt... Do you think it could be dangerous ? What could I do to protect the canopy?

Thanx guys!!

Steve

these fish could have been sick right from the get go. Chromis are pretty tough. I have used them in the past to cycle tanks with no losses. If you don't have coral in the tank you really don't need to add anything other then the new water that you add for your water changes. Your PH is a little low so as was pointed out earlier test for ammonia and nitrite. What did you cycle the tank with?
    Rob

Just the LR.

I would like to had some corals in few weeks... So I would like to raise calcium and buffer to start to get experience at controlling it...

Right now in my tank I only have 2 chromis, 2 false percula and 7 seven red legs hermit crabs...

By the way, I have forgot to tell that I did had temperature swing between 26 and 28oC in a day last weeks. My appartment can get pretty hot some days if I don't open the windows, so it is why it have done that. I know always let a window a bit open to keep the air colder...

Thank you guys

P.S. Do you think my canopy problem could be a fire hazard?

By the way, I have forgot to tell that I did had temperature swing between 26 and 28oC in a day last weeks. My appartment can get pretty hot some days if I don't open the windows, so it is why it have done that. I know always let a window a bit open to keep the air colder...

Thank you guys

P.S. Do you think my canopy problem could be a fire hazard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast