HELP - Is Copper Safe Actually Safe?

I have a 50 gallon tank with Hermit Crabs, two Common Clowns and A Royal Gamma. The Royal was introduced into to the tank two days ago and I'm beginning to show signs of Ick.

Acclamation was slow to avoid this but guess it didn't work.

I have on-hand Mardel CopperSafe which seems like a general cure but am wondering if it's safe to add to the main tank. No coral, just the mentioned fish and 8 Hermit Crabs.

Unfortunately, no other tank to use for isolation.

i'd say give it a few more days and see what happens. It just might be stress from the move.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Copper safe is not safe with invertebrates. That is taken right from the box as I have some here as well so it may kill your hermit crabs. It is chelated copper and shoulnd't be used in your display tank as some people say it can bind to rock and even bind to the silicone in your tank. Setup a hospital tank and treat the fish in there.

Thanks for your replies.

It's too late as I added is as the instructions state and am now hoping for the best. In a month I'll start with water changes to hopefully remove most of it. So far, the crabs are fine from what I can tell.

Fingers crossed here...

Once the treatment is done you could even buy some copper removal media if the water changes don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo
    Acclamation was slow to avoid this but guess it didn't work.
    Acclimation speed has nothing to do with ICH. Either the fish has the parasites or it does not. This is why QTing is important.

I have on-hand Mardel CopperSafe which seems like a general cure but am wondering if it's safe to add to the main tank. No coral, just the mentioned fish and 8 Hermit Crabs.
    I see you already added it. It's not likely to be absorbed by they silicon, but it is going to be absorbed by any live rock & sand bed that you have. This means that you're likely going to have to use more copper than normal to get it up to theriputic levels.

So you'll have to get a copper test kit and measure. You should have one anyway, even if you QT you'll occassionally need to treat the tank with copper.

The down side is that once it is absorbed by rock / live sand. Any time your pH drops, which can just be a normal overnight decrease, you'll have copper in the water again.

6 months or more from now you could have copper sensitive creatures just suddenly drop dead on you. I personally would avoid putting any inverts in that tank & keep to fish only.

Unfortunately, no other tank to use for isolation.
    All you need is a 10G tank, a sponge filter, the cheapest lights you can find, a heater, and $5 worth of pvc fittings. I strongly suggest you set up for next time.

Good luck!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar
    Acclimation speed has nothing to do with ICH. Either the fish has the parasites or it does not. This is why QTing is important.

So you'll have to get a copper test kit and measure. You should have one anyway, even if you QT you'll occassionally need to treat the tank with copper.

The down side is that once it is absorbed by rock / live sand. Any time your pH drops, which can just be a normal overnight decrease, you'll have copper in the water again.

6 months or more from now you could have copper sensitive creatures just suddenly drop dead on you. I personally would avoid putting any inverts in that tank & keep to fish only.

All you need is a 10G tank, a sponge filter, the cheapest lights you can find, a heater, and $5 worth of pvc fittings. I strongly suggest you set up for next time.

Good luck!
    Thanks, Kruyar. I appreciate your informative response.

I had no idea about lower ph and the return of copper. I'll have to check the water at night for a while.

I took the crabs out of the tank and put them in a 10 gallon tank with 12 lbs of new seeded LR. They are doing fine and I only lost one of them which my wife is still upset over.

After several water changes and constantly replacing activated carbon, the copper readings are zero - finally. I started to remove the copper after it was in the tank for 8 hours max. Thanks goodness for the lps for being open on Sundays!

Everything seems fine now. Fish are eating like the gluttens they are and the Royal Gamma has stopped the odd rub on the rock. Nitrites at 0, Nitrate at 5, amonia at 0, Phosphate is higher than I'd like, ph is 8.4, Ca at 410 and Alk at 9. So far, everything is stable. Guess I can let the last two readings drift if Inverts are a no go now.

Wouldn't you klnow that through all this my red eyed crab is still alive and he isn't taking my bait in a glass. I'm about to seal his opening in the LR with quick-set cement!

Again, thanks for your response.

better late then never .. I do not like using copper. It is too difficult to keep track of. There are other ways to deal with most diseases.
    Rob