Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cleaner Shrimp Isn't Cleaning!

I have a pearlscale butterfly, and I've been noticing white spots on its fins. I thought it might be ich or parasites, so I figured my skunk cleaner shrimp would clean them off. The problem is, the spots aren't going away. Should I wait for the shrimp to do its job, or should I treat the water? Thanks

I am not sure about the shrimp, so I will not say anything about it, but for sure there is not that much you can do to your water. I mean you can not use with invertebrater hyposalinty, copper or formaldehyde...

Some stuff are supposed to be reef safe, but are in my opinion a lot less usefull...

Steve

ToX
    cleaner shrimp won't do miracle, but they help, but still a healthy fish should get rid of ich by it's own

isolate the butterfly and treat him on its own, thats the best bet, skunks won't clean everything...

there are pretty much no medicines that are effective and doesn't kill invertebrates.

also perhaps start to increase additive to the food to boost immunity, like garlic extract or something

If it's ICH, the cleaner shrimp will only eat the dead skin around the wound. This will make the butterfly feel better, but it doesn't do much for the parasite.

That is if the cleaner wants to clean. I've lucked out with mine, I can't put my hand in the tank without having a cleaner come by to groom me, even a year later. Others are content eating only what you're feeding the fish.

As to the ICH, some fish will develop an imunity over time to the parasite, but I don't recommend relying on it.

Freshly crushed garlic (the oil) among other things is a mild broad specrtum antibiotic. It may help, but it's likely only going to work if the fish would have gotten there on it's own. It's also an oil, which floats on top of the water so delivery is a challenge.

It may stimulate the appetite, which may get more food into the fish, which may help it recover.

There's a lot of maybes in there.

Do you have any other fish with these spots? Are they spreading? How long have they been there? Do they dissapear & then reappear in a couple weeks? What else is in the tank?

Medicated food only works if you can get it into the fish at a theriputic level. Unless your butterfly eats flake you're not likely to get there. My Copperbanded has reciently started tasting flake, but he spits it out immediately.

You might try soaking his food in selcon before feeding him. The added hufa, omegas & vitamins can't hurt...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I've noticed some speckles on my ocelaris clown as well. It almost looks like a light dusting over his body. I soaked so mysis in Zoe vitamins overnight, and fed the to the fish. They ate it up quite quickly. I hope they don't die! Anything else I should do?

That sounds much more likely to be ich. Here's a cut & paste of an earlier post (okay I corrected my spelling from the first time I posted it... I hope):

Get all the fish out into a hospital tank now. No fish in the display for 6 weeks so the parasites completely die off. Mix a big batch of saltwater now, you'll need lots for QT tank partials, do not use water from your display tank.

Next choose a treatment plan:

1) Copper is proven to work but tangs are very sensitive to it. I wouldn't even think about it unless I had a copper test kit to measure the levels & it's still challenging from what I'm told. Cupramine is the most recommended if you choose to go that route. (http://www.petsforum.com/personal/t.../cupramine.html)

2) Hypo salinity. The free swimming stage dies if there's not enough salt in the water. Treatment takes longer, and there's been reports of some resistant strains of MI. However it's an effective no chemical solution. (http://www.petsforum.com/personal/t...posalinity.html)

3) Three day tank dance. This also breaks the life cycle effectively, but the stress of moving the fish every 3 days prevents a lot of people from trying it. (http://www.petsforum.com/personal/t...aytransfer.html)

4) Other treatment. I think OSD uses Nox-Ich and there are several other ICH treatments available. None of them are reef safe so you still need a QT tank, and your display needs to "fallow" so that the parasites die off.

ICH cannot complete it's lifecycle without a fish to host it. You can speed up it's death a bit in the display by nudging the temperature up to the low 80s F, but keep it in tolerance for the live rock & invertibrates you have in the tank.

Keep the fish reasonably feed in QT, but you'll have water quality issues so don't over feed. I'd keep adding garlic in QT, but water quality needs to become a religion.

Good luck I hope all goes well.

There is one problem with all of your suggestions...I don't have a quarantine tank! I know, it was really stupid of me to set up a tank with out a QT tank, but I have no room for it and definitely can't afford it!
    I don't have any corals except for a couple mushrooms. If saving all of my fish means killing a couple of mushrooms, so be it. Will Ick treatments kill snails and hermit crabs? I have lots of those.
    My fish are the most expensive part of my tank. I'm willing to sacrifice the mushrooms to save the fish. I have a pearlscale butterfly, an ocelaris clown, a blue hep. tang, and a cleaner shrimp who doesnt seem to be doing his job!
    Should I treat?

ToX
    you will never be abble to have corals anymore because the chemicals will be in your rock now so I would not threat the display

go buy a 10 gallons tank at big als, a filter and a heater and you'll have a QT for under 50$

Can you borrow something & set it up for 6 weeks as a hospital tank?

The only garunteed methods are the first 3 things I posted.

However there are some supposedly reef safe treatments that you might try if you have no other alternative. Their effectiveness is dubious, as is the claim that they're reef safe. I have no recommendations for them, I'm recommending you borrow some equipment & set up a hospital tank.

Regardless, this is only my opinion, you should get a few more & make your own decisions.

Something else to keep in mind, we're guessing that it is indeed ich based on your description. Before doing anything drastic, post a pic & get some other people's opinions.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast